Thursday 16 June 2011

Block B Love

I have been wanting to blog about Block B since I first heard their teaser who knows how many weeks, maybe even months, ago. And look, still nothing. I believe it's a classic case of a) having so many good things to say that it becomes intimidating to try to start a post about them (just like GTOP!) and b) a lack of time, as ever.

I like these stage clothes a lot. All round full marks.

But having watched various videos of them, and with the opening of their official(?) facebook page, I at least wanted to say, "HI, BLOCK B. I LIKE YOU A LOT, A WHOLE LOT", publicly.

The three song single is a two songs out of three perfection for me. Great rapping all round boys! Wanna B is as good if not better than the title track Freeze. But both I love entirely. The last ballad is a bit of a snoozefest I admit, but they can't always all be winners. And though it's only a three track single, there are so many other tracks rapped and sung by them on youtube that it can keep you going for hours, it's such a treat!! The rumor is that they wrote over 100 songs before debuting.

To save time, there are some member profiles here.


There's always a reason for being prompted to actually get myself together and write a post, and this time the reason was the preview of Block B on the Japanese TV show Hanlove which you can see here.

My personal highlights:

Zico, a dark horse indeed.

and

"I accept up to carrot" ! ! ! He says it all, need I say more.

I had already picked these two as my favourites, though B-bomb and Jaeyho may also be favourites. Can you even have four out of six as favorites? I hope so. But yes, I was delighted to see that they both have so much personality, and this is just in the programme preview alone. Taeil does 'raise fish' too apparently. That's cool, I guess. However, Kyung and I are more alike as people I'd say - his hobby is 'web surfing'. Glad others consider this an official hobby too.

As you can imagine, I thought all was going great with Block B, no problems, many strong ichiban contenders in the band, great songs and rapping abilities, slick dancing, pretty good live music show performances....and then...

I have some terrible, absolutely grave news... Zico, are these d r e a d l o c k s???


Do not want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Not these braided pig tails.

The gesture says it all.

Why couldn't we have made a Wanna B video from this teaser instead and waited until we had good visual styling for this new b-a-n-g-e-r of a song??? Why go off the rails on only your second MV and title track - Halo deserves better!!! Why not use exactly the same outfits and hair as in Freeze and bide time thinking whislt performing Wanna B some more? That would have been fine - it was a pretty dreamy look, even if Zico's hair was totally modeled on GD, and Wanna B totally deserved its own release. But to get back to the hair, maybe I remember reading somewhere that you didn't steal the pineapple look from GD, and that you had it first Zico? Either way, I didn't love it, but it was better than d r e a d l o c k s (the hint is in the very name, babe!) or braids or whatever they are!! Maybe the corn row top knot should have been a warning to me...hmm.

I'll blame the school uniform-esque jacket as distracting.

But it's not too late to back track to this is it? We all know how 'in' loose perms are at the moment.

Bunny, you know whose hair this looks uncannily like!!

Pretty please.

On the bright side, at least we know that the song is great. Maybe I can't have my cake and eat it, as the saying goes. But I'd like to.

4 comments:

Bunny said...

I can't even reply properly because i am so distressed by the dreadlocks. Actually feeling nauseous. I just watched the new MV (or Tropicana Sparkling advert as it seems to be) and I wish I could take back those 4 minutes. ugly clothes, too summery without delivering me boys in sailor outfits, song is fine, but I can't even...

That beautiful Jerry-esque hair picture above almost brings me to tears after what i've just witnessed. Terror look combined with his sneering face that didn't bother me before, I think I basically hate Zico, he made me hate him.

I would rather Eli and the purple rinse, I would rather T.O.P in a knitted urchin hat and bad shades, I would rather GD like this : http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s7R9QgrE9UQ/TgCS2kV9UEI/AAAAAAAAE4s/MMJmxpp_BQs/s1600/2.jpg and have I mentioned? I bloody hate that look GD, even on you.

In fact disgusting Zico X disgusting GD I just realised what it makes me think of http://24.media.tumblr.com/D9IbnLO9pp76gt20Vqaue9d0o1_500.jpg Gary Oldman as "Drexil" in True Romance, and True Romance makes me think of something Ben said about that film which makes me want to cry.

so basically fuck zico's dreadlocks.
I can't handle this.

Consider me supporting Block B in sound only until this issue is resolved.

Jaehyo is lucky his green rinse is escaping my wrath as Zico took the heat off him.

oh and Jessica your post is lovely as always, you didn't upset me, Zico did.

Jessica Jane said...

I knew you would, and I questioned whether to bring it up. But I knew it wouldn't just go away, and it's better that we face these things head on I would say. Just try to remember that there have been others who recovered from this, in the K and J pop worlds.

As for the tropicana ad. I understand I do, but that song is more than fine. It's a B A N G E R! Also, the clothes don't bother me at all? The yellow all-in-one I actually want? h, and the shirt/shorts set. I'm sad my green-blue hair isn't is lovely as Jaehyo's. Are you still reading?

Lol at 1:43 when a girl is cut in will Zico and you can't tell is it's him or now, her high ponytail imitating his 'dreads'. Don't hate him, just gently mock him. Like you do GD on a bad day.
Sorry about the True Romance connotations. Forget true romance though, we are talking K-POP here - with all due respect here, mind on the game Bunny unnie.

Back to what matters. Doesn't my carrot look good in glasses? Admit it, it's not so bad!

Anonymous said...

I actually like that hairstyle on Zico as well as on Gd, i don't actually like the hairstyle, but Zico and GD can pull it off. It looks good on them.

Jessica Jane said...

I think I love him so much these days that I totally agree with you. He really can do anything he likes ♥_♥
This is one of my favourite hair looks though http://data.whicdn.com/images/9310925/20110429_blockb_3_large.jpg?1304148984
So handsome! And so talented too.

Thank you for sharing the Zico X Block B love!