Sunday 11 July 2010

Finally, I am ready for Solar

It has taken a while, but I am back by Taeyang's side with a smile on my face. For someone who claims to adore Taeyang as much as I (often platonically), you may be wondering why there has been a total lack of reaction to the fact that he has just released his first solo full length album, Solar. If so, you and me both. I thought the release would send me wild a la T.O.P, have me typing to the point where I was almost sick down myself from my joyful garggles. But this didn't happen. I'm still not sure why. Maybe this was always going to be the case. I mean, if I insist on listening to songs like Where U At and Wedding Dress on constant repeat then these songs being on the album is hardly going to blow my mind in the same way hearing/seeing the songs the first time round did, and other songs are always going to have a fight to stand up to them. Essentially, I just was not blown away. I think I wanted something rap-ier, harder, not so much of the love songs which I ended up with.

And the single I need a girl wasn't quite what I was craving either, even with the GD rap. The original MV is nice, lots of Taeyang and Dara (2NE1) and GD in bowtie and comb over and later a lepeoard print shirt...
but it still wasn't what I was looking for. Taeyang didn't even change his hairstyle or loose the frontal shave, though he claims that that (and the terrible facial hair) are down to him being too busy and not caring enough about what he looks like. I'm not sure that I believe him, but I'll agree to it to save myself the upset that his style intuition is not quite that of T.O.P's.
The live stages too, I could take or leave really (sorry!).

But then I started to listen to the album properly, not just the advance release teaser tracks, and it began to grow on me. Albums are put into a certain order because they work well in that way, and this is definately true for Solar I believe. The intro works great (I've blocked the few seconds of creepy children), asking me if I'm ready for solar, as it actively prepares me; it calms my rushing k-popped pulse rate a little, which is good for me I know, and takes it down a notch or two for what is to come.
Superstar, track two, didn't thrill me at first, but it's a real grower that has taken root. Then there's I need a girl. Once you get past the nervous, hungry and desperate title, his voice is lovely, and it is a nice song. Remember he also plays the piano. I like to imagine him playing along, rather than dancing around with the creepy stubble beard. And again, GD gambling and rolling around the floor in the video helps.

I like the harp at the start of Just a feeling and, again, it is a really lovely song. Very summery.
Next up, You're my. At first I didn't like this, mostly because of the (terrible)English lines. "You're my chocolate, my sweetest chocolate, I really wanna have you-u". A little suspect if you ask me - ignorance is bliss in such cases, had it been in Korean I would have had no qualms. But his voice IS that of velvety chocolate. Get past the dodgy English shock to the system and you'll learn to love it.

Now it starts getting good, with good ol' Teddy (1TYM) let out of his cage, "this is for the ladies!"
I'm actually obessesed with this song, Move. Not a banger in the conventional sense, but fantastic. And Teddy's lyrics KILL me:
...and your body is my wonderland,
I could play all night,
(so just move move, baby don't stop it)
I cock it and I load it,
call me mister big rocket,
you so precious, face shinin' like crystals,
I'm so vicious like Sid with my Sex Pistols...

...Niagra falls, baby I got you wetter than...


Go Ted. So sexual, so punk. I never expected so much from him. God knows what the live performance will end up sounding like though. If you've heard him on GD's Shine a light Leaders you'll know what I'm getting at - over excited child at a party.

Ah, Breakdown, more like let down. It sounds like it's going to be epic, for the first few seconds at least, some proper hard rap, and then it just gets a bit.....jokey, for want of a better adjective. But even this is growing on me, or I'm softening. Either way.

After you fall asleep, in translation, is the next track, and it totally has me. Repeat worthy and all. I can assure you that I will be doing some more research into this Swings fellow.

So yes, after that is Where U At andWedding Dress(both prior digital releases) and Prayer and another off the mini album released last year. As afore mentioned, no surprises but all super songs.

And last, certainly not least of all, Take it slow. Don't laugh, but it reminds of my childhood and Annie Lenox whilst actually making me feel mid-coital activity. I don't understand it either. And maybe too much, sorry, but it really does. It's so beautiful, but it's almost too much. So slow but with the capacity to have my heart race like some of the best club bangers.

Anyway, I'm sorry. No more.
But I guess what really consolidated all this was LISTENING TO THE LIMITED DELUXE EDITION on repeat in my car all weekend. Yes, you read right. Bless Tower Records.

I don't know how much I like the T-shirt itself, but really, just to have it and know it's mine. GD blates has one, and does T.O.P for sure. If it's good enough for them...

Oh yeah, and the YG FAMILY card! I'm so happy/proud/excited to have this in my wallet. All I need now is an A.N.Jell/You're Beautiful one and I'll be off.

I don't really know what the card or serial number means. But I will be researching this too. And the one of however many photos I got was the one with leather gloved hand to mouth, and "God Bless You" 'hand written' in the corner. How sweet.

It's times like this when my imminent departure from Japan breaks my heart.


5 comments:

Bunny said...

I'm so glad you finally gave Taeyang your time once more, I know i've hardly been his biggest fan, but you and he had some history, I didnt want to see it forgotten.

As per your request I have given it a try and along with your fantastic summary, I am now READY FOR SOLAR. In fact I have had "are you ready for Solar?" stuck in my head on a loop for the past few days, although I orginally though he was asking "are you ready for SOL? OH!" but he's only SOL in Japan, it works though, he should use it.

There is no way Superstar should be the 2nd track, I like it, but it still totally strikes me as movie ending credits music, it would have worked perfectly at the end of the album. I Need a Girl is a sweet song, not the most exciting, but I'm pretty into it these days, also not a big fan of the creepy dancing about and tummy tapping, I guess he saw T.O.P tapping that lower back and just wanted to give it a go, but he got it so wrong.
I like the next two OK, they dont grab me but work perfectly as background k-pop atmosphere music, you know the kind when you're trying not to get yourself too excited? Taeyang's good for that. I dont mind the weird english and the breathing "wann-AH luv You-UU" but eeek when he takes it up high I almost have to skip the track, I am not a fan of YB high pitched breathy whining, really that bit I could really do with out.
Move - I couldn't have put it better myself "not a banger in the conventional sense, but fantastic" and Teddy, woah!! did he forget he was on Taeyang's track and then it was too late and he'd already got Niagra Falls going on, and Taeyang didn't want to question his hyung so just smiled sweetly through all of this. One question, why does Ted feel the need to say "don't get this shit twisted, this is for the ladies"? its like a "please dont misunderstand" moment, we wouldn't have doubted it was for the ladies but now you're acting all suspicious with you outburst of don't get it twisted, are you a little bit twisted Teddy? are you??

BREAKDOWN - I LOVE THIS SONG!!! THIS IS THE ONE FOR ME!! LOOK AT ME SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET! good work Taeyang, I dont even care about the "jokey" aspect (which I totally acknowledge) I really desperately want to see a performances of this with some kind of shrugging shoulder dance, slide to the left and right, a swagger and a shake and some waving of hands in the air (thats basically the exact dance I do every time I put this one one) Also my favourte lyrics of the album:

"Like an elevator
Let's go up and down
Like an elevator
We go up and down"

I'm usually on a high after Breakdown and thank goodness After you fall Asleep is a keeper too. only complaint is the ridiculous joker laugh before Swings starts to spit, but GO SWINGS, he sounds kind of latino, I almost though he was rapping in spanish for a minute.

LOL at your response to Take It Slow. You know I find it difficult to get started with Taeyang, let alone mid-coital, but good for you!! i'm not going to judge. I'm not such a fan of this one, but honestly if he'd have just put Superstar as the last track I would have thought he was a genius.

How much you like the shirt design is irrelevant, you OWN an OFFCIAL k-pop t-shirt, a soft and physical object you can hold close to your body as if it were Taeyang himself. and the family card!! so jealous! i'm sure this must grant you access to their personal homes and 3 magic wishes at minimum.

God Bless Taeyang and god bless you JJH.

Bunny said...

oh god sorry I wrote an actual blog post length comment, and on Taeyang!! who knew I was capable of it!

Jessica Jane said...

Thank you for going back and giving Taeyang some more time. I can assure you that both him and I are sincerely grateful for your consideration. I’m only sorry that it took me so long to administer him some of the praise he works so hard for and truly deserves. I knew we weren’t over.

I too find my self wailing “Are you ready for Solar?” so often it’s nearly irritates me, but not quite. Similar to your SOL Oh, I sing “Ghuuur” instead of the “Yeaaah” bit. It works too well to resist.

Funnily enough, Superstar is the track that Taeyang is most pleased with. Really, I ask. I reckon that this was originally meant to be the title track/released single. I’m kind of glad it’s not. I can see where you are coming from about it fitting perfectly at the end, but I don’t this I’m willing to give up my beloved track 13, sorry.

As for Taeyang’s slightly creepy tummy touch moves, I put this down to the fact that he is trying to give his honest self these days. And I really believe that this is something he would honestly do. We may not like it, but at least he’s no faker I guess.

Lol to the breathy whine. I like how you label it as a YG thing. Is there no one else who bothers you with it? I guess I’ve not noticed it too much, maybe I don’t mind it…I don’t love it or anything though, don’t worry. This is something that I refrain from mimicking in the car.

MOVE, MOVE, MOVE. My favourite track. Teddy is such a badass for slipping it in. Maybe because most people don’t get it quick enough when listening it as not as risqué as it seems to us. But serious yikes all the same. Bet GD wishes he’d thought it up.
And as for the guilt ridden “This is for the ladies”, that bit ALWAYS has me giggling. I had exactly the same thoughts as your reported. I just want to tell him “Don’t get so huffy.” (just like Casey’s line to Sebastian in Cruel Intentions, same voice and all).

Breakdown is such a tough one for me, I can’t even put my aversion to it into words really. It is slowly being broken down the more I listen, but there remains something there, blocking me. I admit I love the elevator lines, A LOT. And I too do a car seat shoulder shifting shrugs every morning. I’m sure soon enough your live performance wish will come true.

Seriously Bunny, sometimes the closeness of your thoughts to my own scares me! The laugh on the Swings track – I don’t like it either. But in the grand scheme of things, I totally let it slide.

I promise to wear the t-shirt to your house for a sleepover, and I’ll let you hold and play with the YG family card all you like. On a serious note, do you know what it actually does?? There was a scratch off serial number and everything. I hope I’m not missing out of a meet and greet plus two guests… You know BB would turn up for his moral support…

Bunny said...

He's most pleased with Superstar? what an odd choice?! probably because he's deeply embarrassed that the hyung team forced him to have a title track called "i need a girl", I dont think it was his idea to concentrate on that aspect of his life.

I am now terrified by7 the thought that the tummy touch is something he would actually do?! acceptable only on pregnant ladies i'd say. oh dear.

I label it a YB (YoungBae) thing not YG (although maybe that works), it is ONLY Taeyang who I have this problem with, actually though I would liken it slightly to the experience of having to listen to any Kpop boy (but ESPECIALLY NICKHUN) whining through "Nothing Better", It sends a shiver OF DREAD down my spine.

MOVE is some serious hardcore YIKES, i cant believe he calls himself Mister Big Rocket and GD only got as far as "she wants some of my lollipop". and did you just make a Cruel Intentions reference?? Jesscia Jane, as if I needed another reason to love you.

let it go, let Breakdown break you down. let him take you in the elevator.

peas in a pod babe.

read this : http://www.21bangs.com/info-about-yg-family-number-card/

its kind of confusing, but sounds like you put the number in and sign up, and then potentially win a round trip to see big bang at summersonic festival?! amongst other things, deadline is july 20th so get on it fast!

Jessica Jane said...

I know. The boy has his priorities a little confused, that’s all. Lol. I like the idea that he was bullied into I need a girl. “And you WILL dance with Dara.” Tummy touch and all. Pregnant ladies, Taeyang rubbing, still feels creepy.

Trust Nickhun to be the other to send shivers down your spine. You have such a love hate thing going on there, such emotional confusion. Boor Bunny unnie.

I know, Mr Big rocket who probably doesn’t have a big rocket – don’t get it twisted. And GD. I reckon gradually he is going to be allowed to get more and more dirtbag, and I CAN’T WAIT.
Seriously, the thought of Ted sitting there pen in hand writing, “Niagra falls” …hmmm, what next… “baby girl I got you wetter than”?... oh yeah, great, finished. Has me giggling for hours.
[I am also SO happy that the CI reference is not lost on you – I knew it wouldn’t be!]
Oh gosh, I tried to do the ID thing, I really did, but I just CAN’T figure it! I just have to feel safe in the knowledge that I never(!) win these things anyway. Damn YG card!!

No more of this taking in the elevator. Don’t try to make the whole album mid-coital now. Really Bunny!