Friday 2 July 2010

Teenz on top?


And when I say teens, I mean teens. Teen top - the official name of this brand sparkling new band. Their musical stand point, "emotional teen pop band". Boy oh boy, I don't even know what to make of this, which is why I feel the need to work it all out publically (and legally).

So, what first hits me is the name. I know half, or a least a portion, of the boys I lust over are barely legal. And thanks to dearest Bunny I just had yet another Dongho (UKISS) scare, but anyway, to put this fact in the name itself - now that's just bullying your poor old nunas.

After reading the name again I realised that I had seen it before; this is the six-member group which will be featured on MTV USA this September. Their company T.O.P Media claims the show is to be named "Vice Guide to Everything". Does this mean it's actually a Vice production? I'm not sure, but I am sure that k-pop is starting to get a bit bigger certainly than it was over in the west, and I hope that this band will set a good example and not embaress me and my nearest and dearest.

Apparently, since January, MTV have been combing for idols who have yet to debut. As it turns out, this programme will show the boys at the time of their actual debut, as well as some of the formative stages. According to some sources, one of the MTV associates claims that, "Niel, who is the lead vocalist, has the tone of a young Michael Jackson. They are fit to compete in markets overseas too because the English skills of one of their members is at the level of a native speaker." Well, how about that, UKISS.

Without further ado, lets have a peek at the members. The websites for them are all in Korean and as I'm only a beginner I'm not so hot at navigating this, so you'll have to make do with some real tooty pictures I found with English descriptions:

Always best to start with leader. So, a whole 17.8 years of age - they better get big sharpish before he outgrows his teens. He seems tall-ish, I can say that much, and I do love me a rapper. An artiste too! Actually, I've seen one of his drawings on twitpic (yes they have a twitter). I reckon he's probably better at exercise, but at least he's trying.

Oh, dancing boy, how snazy! '95, hmm, that would make him still 14, and yes, still in middle school. -----MAKNAE alert----- However, with music appreciation as a hobby, how edearing. But I'm stopping here. Self-defence skills, he may need these...

Power voice, I look forward to being blown away, but all 52kgs of you. Now we are onto '93, moving up - up and out of danger. It's legal, just. Although he is in 2nd grade middle school apparently - is this because he maybe spent too long in kpop training and not enough time at the books? Imitating something as a hobby though, how scintilating! Puzzles he also gets brownie (or should I say Cubs) points for.

Devil bad rapper. Now this is what I am talking about. With a face like his, 'bad' rap skills and some piano on the side, we may just have out next Seungho (MBLAQ) protege right here. There's even English as a speciality - could it be than I've already discovered my 16 year old ichiban?

Emotional voice and a profile picture way to genki for my liking. I'll blame it on him being not quite 16 yet, but I don't like it all the same. I'm also not into soccer - sadly this one may be a bit of an early write off. Also, Niel, what a name to choose from all those cool western names you could have had, like CAP or L.Joe...

Oh god, even reading 'lovely Ricky' makes me want to holler out in a Bianca (Eastenders) style fashion, and that's without this terrible gormless picture to accompany. Poor boy, he barely stands a chance with that kind of introduction. Lucky for him I've seem some slightly better evidence of him about the interweb, in the form of twitpics again.

So yes, welcome to the boys. Fresh faced and none yet out of school (though we may have a drop-out on our hands).

Next up, the music. I saw a clip of their debut live stage, one of their own songs maybe(?), and I was not enthralled, but then I discovered this darling clip:


How sweet of them. And seriously, Nirvana t-shirt, are you kidding me. DREAMBOAT. I knew that L.Joe had my heart from the start, I just knew it. Those sick piano skills, the grunge edge. What a pair, honestly. And I take back all the mean things I said about you Niel, I LOVE the emotional voice. I was a bad nuna and I did wrong, and no you're not too genki either. The smiling looks they exchange, it's precious, just precious. And they re so fresh and clean that they aren't even covered in jewels yet!! I'm too excited. Taeminnie (SHINee) you certainly have some competition.
Having seen this and then looking through some of the comments prime viewers are making I do feel a slight warning: "The pianist is on fire! The vocalist is like a Korean Justin Bieber. My interest is piqued~" snarkybookworm1989. Yes, this is the demographic that I have evidently entered myself into. Oh dear.


But then even better that this is the whole band, covers galore:

YES. Couldn't have chosen better myself! 2PM baby. This is what I always want. All kpop bands should model themselves on this, and then it can't go wrong, can it? Grow up to be beastly idols my young boys, and you will surely do well.


And not forgetting
HEARTBEAT! I wish I could find a better quality one for you, but sadly I can't as of yet. You can hear them, just, and they do good! And the dancing, well done boys. I am totally satisfied by this cover, and to achieve this praise they have pretty big boots to fill (we are talking Junho, Taec and Chansung here). We even have the acrobatics at the end!! So nimble at their young age.


And some Big Bang to follow? Of course. They really have picked THE BEST hyungs available.
Lies, such a banger too. We even have some real good T.O.P attempts with the rap, possibly by L.Joe, and I'm not going to laugh at them, as I'm pretty sure he was going for gold. We can't expect him to have a voice as deep as T.O.P's yet, he's still going through puberty for christs sake. The silhouetted thrusts at the beginning too... that's the way to do it.



Having written this then, and touching on the surface of what is to come, and having had an emergency conference with my one and only K-sensei, I am totally sold on Teen Top. This may be my answer to your Infinate Bunny. The only problem seems to the the name - there is no way to really make this sound plausable, but I guess I'll get over that in time.

I see high tops, I see skinny jeans and a cap. There is even what I would dare say are bowl cuts. A name is just a name, right?

The debut title track Clap is to be released on 9th July. I will be there ready and waiting with open arms. I am begging, hoping to god, to the high heavens, that this is not a BEAST Bad Girl repeat. Please let them have a good debut song, and a mini album with club bangers to boot.

Note the pussy bow that Niel is rocking. Dreamy!

For more of your researching needs see:
Their official website
Their YouTube channel
Their flickr
And Soompi for general articles

10 comments:

Kayleigh said...

JESSICA!!!
L.Jo is the same height as me and weighs 9kg less.
YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES!!!!!!!!
But that's not important. What is important is that these boys show promise!
Like you said, all they need are some club bangers to showcase their talents and we're on to a winner!!!!!!!!
You should get google translator it translates most of their official site. You have to sign up to see most of it anyway. After L.Jo's name it says 'BRAT RAPPER'!.

Kayleigh said...

L.Joe, J.lo, whatever.

Bunny said...

uh oh uh oh 1995 oh dear.

Its worse than teens, their twitter calls them teenZ with a Z! a Z! I am shaking my head in despair... and yet soon enough I find myself nodding it in agreement.

emotional teenage pop band. I did an actual snort of laughter reading that. somehow I am thrilled that they are emotional (fond memories of burning lovely untouchable emotional) and less than thrilled about the teenage.

sorry about that Dongho scare but looks like theres more to worry about. This MTV Vice business, so confusing, Vice guide to everything , must mean Vice, right? which must mean... ridicule for TeenTop? my brow is furrowed in confusion and worry as I type this. k-pop getting bigger, is both exciting and terrifying.

Niel - LOL. So you only need ONE member of you group to speak english and you're fit for overseas promotion? poor UKISS and their 4 supposedly english speaking members. Although I would struggle to confirm they were at "native" level, where exactly would Xander sound native to? no where on this planet...

one of their names is C.A.P??? what? what? that 0.8th of a year makes all the difference to me, and the eyebrows, jess i'll join you in putting down a deposit on this one.
As for his art, I like how you skirted around it, it reminded me all to much of Key's recent forays into the field, I feel our pre discussed K-pop art teaching reality show is needed now more than ever.

I refuse to make a comment on the dancing boy. I could have birthed this child.

Chunji seems like the one they've purposely made seem like a massive geeky dork, but i'll bet he's an interesting one.

L.Joe, J.lo ahahahahahahahahahaah

Why am I commenting on them all, I dont even want to comment on them all!! but your post is so good I want to get involved but i'm fighting it, i'm so confused, why am I like this? DAMN YOU TEEN TOP AND YOUR STUPID NAME. TT , looks like the Korean emoticon for crying. its appropriate.

piano man Nirvana fan is cute, but ladies, I don't like the voice, the voice of a young MJ, the voice that I agree with "snarkybookworm 1989" does sound like that brat Beiber, maybe its the ballad throwing me off. I did like the smile exchange.

and now the covers (sorry this comment is such a car crash) are BRILLIANT. I can not fault them for this.

I'll third the notion that if "clap" is a banger then we're in for a good time, but i'm not sold yet. I'm still getting thrills watching Infinite perform everyweek, these 'cubs' have come along at a strange time, and SHINee will be back so soon too, if it wasnt for the covers, and the weird future global activities I would have said I could take it or leave it. but just to be on the safe side I've subscribed to their youtube channel, followed their twitter and added them as a contact on flickr,, at the loss of the last threads of dignity I have.

Oh and to totally rain on the parade:

"According to section 305 of the criminal law of South Korea [38] it is a criminal offense to have sexual intercourse with a minor under the age of 13.
According to part of the Protection of Minors from Sexual Exploitation Law [39], it is a criminal offense to coerce a minor under the age of 19 to a sexual act.
Culturally it is not accepted to have sexual act with a minor under the age of 19 even with the consent of the minor at the age of 13 or above"

Just so you know....

Jessica Jane said...

Wow, BRAT RAPPER. Now that is so serious rapping I'll bet!

I'm not a fan of the name at all, but there's nothing we an do. Z's are the pinnacle.
Teenage and emotional, maybe it will make us feel young again. New lease of life?

The VICE thing, i looked into it a little, and they are affiliated with MTV, so i really think it is proper VICE guide. Will they ridicule them? Or will they turn into a quirky and cool East London thing? I just can't tell. It all depends on if they are gifted bangers for their first hits or not.

I'm not sure if it is only Niel that speaks English; I read that they all do. We will soon find out I guess. Xander is not from this world. So attractive yet so, so... there are no words for it.

C.A.P and Key's art. Let's not mention it again.

I guess you could have birthed Changjo. What a thought.

Why are you fighting the teen top? Don't fight it.
It's no worse than Infinity, not really. Let it go an get on board.

The voice is fine when it's covering 2pm or BB, so talk no more of this Beiber.

I'm glad you're not leaving them. You need to get on this and keep on it. They will earn a square, mark my words.

As for these words on the laws of Korea, I guess I'm glad I know the deal. But really, I don't want to have sex with them. I want to look at their beautiful porcelin faces and their sweet dance moves in awe; I want to contemplate whether they really come from this world.

Bunny said...

Its true, I can't knock the Z if I can cope with F:Cuz supposed being pronounced FOCUS. jeez.

oh dear so it really is the Vice and MTV, maybe it is just some odd cool thing to them, like black metal and they wont ridicule, just create a show and leave it confusingly ambiguous as to whether its tongue in cheek, ironic, mocking or sincere , its up to the viewer to decide(i feel this is probably how some of our friends look at our own k-pop habit)

I don't know why i'm fighting the inevitable, i'll jump right on the next shuttle bus and meet you in Teen Top Town.

Oh lord, I don't really want to have sex with them either (i'd just like to clarify that out here in this public domain) I just worry what if our actions look like the first steps of coercion? and I do like to know where I stand. I mean, you know, for example if I was trapped in a lift with C.A.P during the dawn of apocalypse, and we thought we were going to die... who knows what might happen.

Jessica Jane said...

Oh golly, don't compare the two so closely. But really, FOCUS. That is not the conclusion that I have ever come to.

Let's make a bet on the cool. I spoke to kayleigh about it today and she pointed out that there's very little they could really get these boys for - they are hot, can sing, can dance, can play piano, are mutli-lingual.
I don't even want to think about how my friends view this additiction. Good job i'll be moving somewhere where i don't know anyone.

Coercion. What a way to put it. There's something about the word.
More importantly, taken a liking to C.A.P have we? Or did you just use him because he is the safest/oldest??

Bunny said...

F.cuz, try using it in a sentence, "Jessica when you go to Glasgow I think it's important that you remember to F.cuz on your studies..." LOL, oh Korea.

Fingers crossed on the Vice front, lets just hope it ends well, for all of our sakes.

I may have taken a preliminary shine to C.A.P , based pretty much on the fact that he is the eldest, safest and tallest, but I think you know already, that freckle on the lower eyelid, i'm all about that freckle. LETS GO L.JOE!

Jessica Jane said...

Please use F.CUZ in every other sentence. It looks great. It’s almost like a secret code. Yikes, we became 12 years old once again, and there’s nothing bad about that.

I kind of thought you’d go for C.A.P. I’m not sure how or why I knew, but it was a confident prediction. Are we really starting to know eachothers K-types so well? I just tried searching for their blood types too, but the damn school computer blocks the k-pop sites. Spoil sports!

I’m so happy to see so much of L.JOE in the video. And I am by no means yet post-freakout of joy over his blonde bowl. It makes me worryingly happy.

Bunny said...

I have to apologise to C.A.P because I really thought he was the man (boy) for me, but I was so so quick to jump ship, also I was unconvinced by how C.A.P came across in their interview, and I don't think I can f.cuz on more than one Teen Top at once, so im choosing to f.cuz all my attention on L.Joe. The only thing that could change my mind is the onset of a Teen Top reality show (im hoping for a classic Korean style charm appeal show before the Vice /MTV potential heartache).

And now I have to stop commenting so I can f.cuz on writing my own blog....

Jessica Jane said...

Wow, 10 out of 10 for the points of f.cuz in this comment. Sterling job.
I think that you are wise to f.cuz on L.Joe over C.A.P. Kayleigh has pointed out that sometimes the latter can look a little too much like his is from the Streets of Kidulthood to put it politely.
Fingers crossed that their efforts next f.cuz on a reality show of Wild bunny/Idol army quality…