Wednesday 18 May 2011

MBLAQ in Japan

Originally posted at my personal blog Bunny Bissoux. so the tone might not be at full on NunasKnowBest intensity and only beginners level k-pop comprehension needed.



The time that I was in Japan just so happened to be the same time that one of my most beloved Korean groups were having their Japanese debut.  My k-pop trained eye spotted advertisements and promotions in a few places and I had a heartwarming holy MBLAQ moment in the AM/PM convenience store when I heard a familiar song playing but I couldn't remember who it was, I was thinking "oh this song is really great... who is it again... it sounds like a Johnny's song but... better... a really good Johnny's song... its not NEWS is it??... who can it be?... i've heard it before... wait ... a .... minute... it's MBLAQ, yes! j-pop MBLAQ ! yes!" and then I realised I had been stood static with a creepy smile on my face and chocolate biscuit snack in hand for the duration of the song. Its possible I was swaying, who knows.

You see i'm very happy with MBLAQ's tactic for debuting on Japanese shores, all the previous K-pop groups to head further East either release a Japanese version of their big K-pop hits like Kara-Mister, Girls Generation - Gee etc (which is fine, it just means no new songs) or they try to 'tone down' the K-pop and conform to some of the less wonderful traits of J-pop such as watery ballad pop, awful synth use, all white outfits in a white space and unnecessary twinkling sounds (for example that horrible ZE:A song, the majority of Tohoshinki/JYJ, and most recently SHU-I...).

MBLAQ have gone for a new option, adapting their own 'chic-dol' dance style for J-pop but actually having a good song and keeping to the fundamental success and appeal of their group dynamic. One negative thing of note is that it seems that wherever MBLAQ go, then can never escape some disappointing satin stage clothes. The subtle use of a vampire gimmick is also appreciated, there just aren't enough concept looks in South Korea right now, everyone is trying so hard to look flawlessly pretty they're completely overlooking the opportunity for themed pirate/sailor/cowboy/farmhand/whatever promotions.



MBLAQ even had some kind of meet and greet handshake event in Osaka right when I was in Osaka! Obviously I would love to tell you that I was there, and that I held Seungho's hand for an extraordinarily long time whilst we stared into each others eyes and fell uncontrollably in love, or a variation of that story with Joon, G.O or Mir... (in order of preference) sadly not, I was somewhere else in Osaka oblivious to the relative proximity of MBLAQ. I found out about the event a day too late, and in fact I also got the date of release wrong and strolled up to Tower Records to buy the CD only to find it SOLD OUT from the day before (they later restocked and put up the special promotional header - see above), and then they made it to number 2 on the Oricon Chart! which is a pretty big deal in Japan so well done MBLAQ, well done indeed.

Now i'm back to my usual K-pop stalking internet access and I've been watching them promote on Japanese TV shows, which I could have been watching live, if only I knew! Although if I had it would have undoubtedly spoiled the latter part of my trip and the wonderful hospitality of a dear friend when I refused all social interaction and demanded to stay home commandeering the television set. So, its probably all for the best really. Just like its probably for the best that I found out too late to do anything about getting tickets to go and see 2PM perform in Osaka whilst I was there... or Big Bang even... probably for the best,  that's what I keep on telling myself.   Y_Y

Here's MBLAQ on breakfast TV with a short version of "Your Luv" and some struggling Japanese. I know i'm biased in my continued dislike of Thunder, but really, Thunder fans, tell me if i'm wrong but that haircut was a TERRIBLE decision. So much awkward bowing でも、かっこいですね!!




- BUNNY

No comments: