Thursday 26 May 2011

An open letter to BEAST

Dear BEAST,

I would like to congratulate you on all the hard work you've put into your Japanese debut this year. I have been so happy at the thought of having your faces plastered all over the windows and displays of Tower Records just in time for my relocation back to Japan this Autumn - surely you will be popular enough for all that by then. Or will you. I have a bone to pick with you. Why on earth is it that you are promoting 'Bad Girl' as your follow up Japanese single to 'Shock'??? What are you thinking? I know the Japanese pop scene can leave a lot to be desired at times, but really, this single was a flop the first time around! The thought of hearing 'Bad Girl' being played over and over in shops and what not terrifies me. I like to be loud and proud about loving K-pop, but not that song! As UKISS Eli and Kevin would say, ewwwwwww.

I re-watched the original video, reluctantly, in preparation and tried to like it more.



But it didn't work. You can keep these new school sounds to yourself thanks very much. I think maybe that the only good thing about it is Junhyung's hair? The clothes are ugly, the dance is fair but the song is super cheesy - it's not a patch on your follow up singles 'Shock', or 'Soom', or 'Fiction' for that matter! BUT, I was willing to try to keep an open mind in preparation for the Japanese version - maybe everything will be different this time around I thought. Is it?



Not different enough in my humble opinion. Yes all of you (bar one) look totally dreamy. I particularly love your bomber jacket Junhyung, and Doojoon the interesting kyudo-esque (Japanese archery) breast pad thing you are sporting is really great. But it can't always be merely on pretty faces that things are judged now, can it? And the question that keeps really plaguing me - how can you be promoting this at the same time as 'Fiction', which is a work of art??? I guess you will just not let me have my cake and eat it.

Anyways, to round this letter off, I want to tell you that I still love you all (bar Yoseob) dearly and will simply focus on the end of 'Bad Girl' promotions, listening over and over to 'Fiction' in the meantime, and pray that it doesn't damage your cool Japanese debut image too much. Keep working hard and being diligent and we will put this behind us already, no more said of it, yes?

Forever yours,


Jessica Jane

1 comment:

Bunny said...

dare I comment on this..?

hmmmm, you see the thing is, i've always liked Bad Girl. Much like FCUZ "Jiggy"... I just never had much of an issue here. Sure in the original Doojoon looks massively creepy, but all that aside, i'm fine with it, in fact I applaud their versatility. It gives me hope that their long Japanese career will be a healthy and happy variety or cool and cute, sharp and .. smooth... hot and ..?! oh I don't know, but I just mean its nice they are offering different things, just like they do in Korea, if you just got Shock then Soom it'd be a bit like 2PM's streak of following each angsty brooding dressed in black sad song over dance beats with anothers angsty brooding dressed in black sad song over dance beats, what happens then is that you get stuck and can never go back to Shipjeom Manjeome Shipjeom...

That being sad, 2PM debuted in Japan with the bizarre angelic white slightly brooding muscle showing outfits and a childrens song and dance routine, but again, i'm kind of into it.

Am i just too accepting of everything??? are my only issues relating to twins under the age of 17?

should we be worried about me?

I'm going to learn Bad Girl in Japanese and sing it to you on Karaoke.

x