Sunday 3 October 2010

We're back in the game!

Yes, yes, YES, U-KISS. Fabulous work, fantastic!
From boys 2 men indeed.

This week you have done me so proud.

You started off with the suited and booted teaser image, and I will fully admit that you had Bunny and I a little worried. Not like you'd done anything bad or terrible, just that you hadn't really done yourselves justice. And you've had time, plenty of time to think up something a little more exciting than a suit. And you know what suit says, don't you? Suit says low key and conservative, it says "I'm not dancing; I'm concentrating upon my vocals". And we all know what this means - a one way ticket to balladsville. Usually I'd say you can't really go wrong in a suit, but for some reason, you did a little, sorry. I guess the suits can come back out later, post-comeback week, when we've all calmed down a little, or you are trying to calm us.

Soohyun babes, you are just not meant to be a blonde. I call time out on that I'm afraid.

However, there were song titles to accompany this image, and Rock Ya Body certainly gave me some hope, as did the lines, "Oppa hates you!" Call me a terrible and a bad feminist, do, but this vaguely sadistic line got me riled indeed, and in the best possible way.

And then you got down to business, just like I'd hoped you would, and you hit me with this:

I just knew you'd see sense soon enough Soohyun! Thank you!! You may not be the ichiban babe in the band, but you certainly get brownie points for getting right back on track, with no if's or but's.

Excellent work, boys! I love industrial chic, and you know how well black suits you from the Man Man Ha Ni video! You are definitely learning. And yes Eli, we are both, Bunny and I, very happy to see that your full fringe beauty has been restored. No complaints here, none at all!

It must be said here that I feel as though Kiseop to U-KISS is the modern day Joe Dellesandro to Andy Warhol's Factory: it's not really for your creative skill that you are here. It's not your fault babes, it isn't; you were born with this lovely visage and body, and we are going to make darn well sure that everyone knows it. I don't doubt for a second that you have the voice of an angel, but it just so happens that you have something even more beautiful that outshines it. You may have only had one line is Man Man Ha Ni, but yours are the close ups I remember best (alongside those of Dongho, naturally).
Having been a K-pop fanatic for rather a little while now, I don't know why I didn't trust my instinct enough to know that these clothes would surely be the ones they will wear for promotions. This said, you can imagine my delight at the greeting video for Japan and the opening of their blog - the clothes in action. And when I say "in action", I mostly mean the way Kiseop's "shirt", complete with giant inverse V, clings to his body and moves so well with him. He evidently is not spared by the new rules and regulations of the K-pop stage... At least you are not the only one, Ki Kwang has also been dressed accordingly this week.

I hope you are following that, up until now, I have only good things to say. I have been waiting for the songs with baited breath. Will they live up to the industrial chic? Will Oppa really hate me? This week, just watching, and waiting...





Tonight it finally paid off and the songs are here, they arrived (or at least four did and the rest with intro), and my god you have made me happy!! After finishing My Girlfriend is a Gumiho last night I didn't think I would ever be cheered again, but I was wrong. Every single one of the four I have heard are club bangers, and I think that even T.O.P, god bless his mind body and soul, would agree. I am so happy I could kiss you (maybe even all of you).



Shut Up is giving me everything I need for a title track! I feel like dancing around and throwing my arms about violently right up until the break down kicks in, and then the throwing of shapes starts. It's just fab, everything, the whole thing. Just as the sweat get's too much, and it does, there are some sweet vocals to lower the pulse just enough to continue. I am so happy with this - hardcore electro arrangements all the way - well done boys, really well done. I just know I'm going to lose my shit entirely once there is a whole video to accompany, bloody faces and all.


Is it just me, or is there some type of sauna-esque feel to the blue lit room?! Because I can feel the heat in that room!

Light It Up is also amazing, possibly one step better than the last track!! It makes me feel as though I'm at some euphoric rave, and I may as well be on all the stimulant substances available to me - when you sing "up and down, all around" my heart really does go "boom boom boom". There is something very MBLAQ about this, and I mean that in the best possible way, not the plagiarism way.

Rock 'Ya Body starts a little slower, but really provides little respite to the party once it gets going. I really am clapping to this, all the way! So chic. Singing "Baby jus' show me what you got" with some type of snake charming tune underlaying it - why did no one ever think of doing this before. You are just so damned international.

Avatar is the hard dance hit for sure. The intro is so serious and then it drops into some type of avant-garde beat. I am so checking your style, 100 percent. The casio keyboard had me at middle C! You really do have my mind, it's yours.




Boys, I don't know which numbers you think you are going to perform in those album cover suits, but right now you could pretty much do anything and I would be ecstatic.

2 comments:

Benjamin Crabb said...

YIS!
SO excited to buy this album and it's accompanying 50 page booklet.
I'd better get a poster or there'll be trouble.
TEWAH RICORDS TERRAS!!!

Bunny said...

An excellent return to form post yeodongsang,

and U-KISS, U-KISS

"we're all grown up!" indeed (don't make me quote the "big boy" lyrics section, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

They fooled us all with the suits! clever boys, keeping our expectations low and then knocking us out with that teaser.

Oppa hate you! cannot wait, I love being riled up in the best possible way.

Beautiful Dellesandro comparison there Jess, are you sure you can't switch your dissertation to "parallels of contemporary k-pop and the Warhol factory" worth a thought.

Ki Kwang came before with the exposed hipbone, now Kiseop takes it up, literally with fully exposed lower abdomen, what is next ? or more importantly who is next?

I left this comment half written overnight, in which time we agreed that i wasnt as excited about this as I should be, but I promise you, I am now!! having read through your perfect summary of the tracks again, whilst listening, and looping the teaser a few more times, I AM RLEADY.

Now I know that Eli (at least I think it must be Eli) says "you're pissing me off" again! I love it, and cannot wait for their perfected faces all scratched up and bloody.

I think I love Avatar the most right now, that and the snake charmer section.

WE NEED MV.

I'm going to work hard to fix GIFs because i'm dying to see what you were going to post!!