Sunday 13 March 2011

K-POP Book Club - A Literary Review with life lessons

This is not current news or relevant to anything in particular aside from me stumbling across the screen captures in a untidy folder of all kinds of forgotten and unwritten blog post fodder. I'd even edited the screen captures together already, in a "here's one I made earlier" type affair.

Super Junior's Miracle Show (aka "Human Network Super Junior’s Miracle") was a TV show broadcast in 2009 presented by Super Junior members Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk and apparently also Sungmin and Kangin (although 2009 was when Kangin met some trouble with the law... and Sungmin isn't in the only episode i've seen).  The premise of the show is SuJu "plant hopes and dreams for teenagers troubled with hardship by giving them support and encouragement" and find role-models and mentors for these trouble youths (I'm guessing bar fights and hit & run accusations didn't make Kangin the ideal role model...)

I'm not sure if it always follows the same formula, but the feeling I got was this is still very much an idol variety show, with amusing talk segments, silly games and challenges with the added heartwarming sentiment and human life story angle thrown in their for good measure. It's also interesting becasue Leeteuk, Shindong and Eunhyuk are the MCs, there's no comedians and comediennes shoved in to bulk up the numbers or help out with some amateur idol hosting,  of course this is because those three are basically pros, successful radio shows, years of tv experience (compared to current influx of rookie groups stumbling over their cue cards) and they even have their regular comedy "Teukigayo" spot on "Strong Heart" (another very popular celebrity talk/variety show) - I suppose wisdom and experience really do come with age, but i'd like to think SuJu are just naturally gifted. If only Heechul had been there.

Ok the real reason I chose the watch this show was because the other idol guests were MBLAQ, SHINee and Brown Eyed Girls. Its rare and exciting enough to get a fourway idol group interaction but somehow this combination struck me as a MUST SEE situation, despite the fact that all of them are missing a member during filming. In case you're wondering, BEG's Ga-in is filming elsewhere, MBLAQ's Joon is sick with a cold (why oh why couldn't it have been Thunder...) oh poor Joonie, at least they let him have a day off as this was 2009 when MBLAQ are relatively newbies (they have to give full rookie style member introductions) not like these days where the poor boy works through his insomnia, casually mentions he's bipolar, performs a day after a random vomiting fit and falls off a stage during and elaborate twirl (he's had a tough time) and finally SHINee are missing Minho (sorry but its not the greatest loss, its not like they're filming Dream Team) as he's at school - nice to know they make it their sometimes.

After some introductions and the mandatory promotional dance performance we meet the first kid who wants to be a news reporter. Everyone is on their best behavior for his 5 minute interview and giving encouraging nods and sympathetic "ahhs" to his story and his good grades and good intentions and after imposing on him a forced dance lesson of Brown Eyed Girl's Abracadabra "hip dance" the entire cast unites in a "HWAITING!" cry and promises to find him a suitable mentor, before sending him on his way for now.

Time for an idol talk segment and really, its a good one.  "scholarship quiz" - "it raises your IQ!" oh really?! Discussion time - Narsha define's "mentor" for us, Taemin describes the programme we're watching for us, and then something I really did not see coming ...

"What book became a mentor for you?" 

Now I don't want to undermine anyone's intelligence here, but I had never considered a k-pop literary review appearing in a tv show,  i'm still coming to terms with seeing T.O.P reading / holding a copy of and pretending to read "Mama Makes Up Her Mind" in the "Knockout" video:


Whether or not he can read that is besides the point, its a hip hop video and that screen shot above is promoting two things, firstly - MCM Luxury monogram leather goods, and secondly - LITERACY.  Way to go T.O.P.

Anyway back to the Miracle Show.  BEG's Miryo talks about a book called "You're Lonely, Aren't You" which helped her through a difficult time in her mid twenties and gave her hope. Now we turn our attention to Mir. What kind of books does Mir read?


Mir reads Death Note, an excellent manga of course, but what valuable lesson has Mir learned from the teachings of Death Note?


I see.  Let's move on...  but not before a quick joke at the expense of G.O and his creepy debut image, moustache and all:


G.O then introduces his mentor book Lee Oisoo's "Even women don't know women" which despite its title is apparently about "how people can become poets through tough ordeals". MBLAQ fans may recall the group actually go visit Oisoo at his home in their first reality show, so I wasn't too surprised by G.O's poetic revelations. And as the cast imply,  he's got a moustache, he looks a bit like an author, so y'know, he probably reads and stuff.

As for SHINee, this is when things started to get interesting...

Key starts us off in full Mother Teresa mode talking about Kim Hyeja's "don't hurt them even with a flower" that helped him to overcome an attitude problem, realise he was a happy person and worry about all the helpless children in the world.  God bless you Saint Key.

Is your mind blown yet?

Taemin chimes in with "I read Bernard Werber's - les papillion des etoiles" (I looked it up, French philosophical science fiction, I don't think its been translated into English, just french - korean..), I would love to know if this is a set text at school or something he just picked out for himself on his weekly sunday browse at the bookstore,  either way, Minnie has some brilliant philosophical advice for us all:

The wisdom of a 16 year old pop star. Justin Bieber doesn't even know where Germany is and Taemin's gaining life lessons from French Sci-Fi. You lose Bieber.

Of course Jonghyun reminisces about reading Kafka in high school, i'm not even making this up... and still somehow they manage to turn it around to talking about perving on a girl's bathroom...


Finally what is Onew reading at the moment? Jo Hyeryeon's "Future Diary" (Korean comedienne) and of course he too is learning valuable lessons about modern society,  and in particular such a heartfelt message of optimism:


He is then made to deliver a video message to his future self and then book club is over.  I was going to stop the post here but I feel like you also need to know about the idol's troubles segment, or at least you need to know that Key admits to being a bitch on national TV:

Please be my friend Key, please. I don't even mind if you phone me up and tell me i'm fat like you did to Nicole. I know you're just being honest, and that's why I love you.

Shindong gives Key some great advice that he puts to use, kind of relunctantly, later in the show - basically Shindong suggests any criticism of a girl can be smoothed over if you end it with "...but you're still pretty", when the second average normal person youth looking for a mentor arrives she tells us she wants to be come a Herbal Doctor, "one who combines intellect with looks" priceless Key cuts in with "just go for intellect..." Shindong prompts him "and..." and Key finishes "...but you're still pretty".   GOLD DUST MOMENT.

You think this program is over now? they just go off in two teams and look for a mentor for these kids? no no no. This is South Korea and that would be no fun, they must play "Sudden Wealth Jump Rope" - "Let's Earn our Travel Allowance", charades whilst skipping rope to amass petrol money for their bus trips to find the mentors...  yup.  You should probably watch this for yourself, i'll just mention highlights include Taemin's dance animal impersonations and a questionable action as G.O mimes Lord of the Rings.  I'll admit I didnt even look for the next episode to see if they found any mentors for these kids and helped them with their dreams,  I kinda felt like this show wasn't really going to surpass its own brilliance of k-pop book club, Baby Dino reads Kafka and SuJu/SHINee/MBLAQ/BEG skipping games.     and Key you can be such a bitch... but you're still pretty.

You can watch the entire episode I watched here in parts 1 2 3 4 5 (book reviews in 2 & 3, skipping charades in 4 & 5)

- BUNNY

8 comments:

Jessica Jane said...

Now this is what a call a post. Wow, wow, wow.
There is just so much here that I don't know where to start.
Taeminnie and French philosophy?
Jonghyun and Kafka?
Key and his admission of bitching?
This show literally has it ALL. Boy oh boy do I want to watch it. I think it may be my earn-the-fun carrot tomorrow. I feel like once I've seen it I will be able to react more? Right now I am kind of star struck, like when I saw Reply for the first time, or when I have been looping back to Mir's rap at the start of Oh Yeah when he's doing all the insanely hot hand gesturing.
Oh god, do you think Mir ever pretends like he is L when he is sat at his laptop?!?

Alice said...

Yay! I've been looking forward to this post since you teased me with it all those months ago. Awesome.

Also, this is a fitting place to inform you that after my 'Alice & Chansung holding hands and skipping off into the sunset' dream, I had another dream last night, that you were part of an outdoors art exhibition, that was being held on the seafront. You had two massive temporary walls set up and they were covered in K-pop related things: drawings you'd made, photographs, charts, animated GIFs (these worked, it's a dream)...it was amazing. You were standing by it, and all the seafront passers by were loving it and learning all about K-pop from you!

You'd also set up a K-pop karaoke night in the pub nearby, but I was a little concerned that the usual pub clientele wouldn't take too kindly to it..

Hope your mouth is still being eerily ok xxx

Bunny said...

This post has been a long time coming ladies...

JJH - Sorry to overwhelm you with a post like this, its not even like its latest news worthy, just another entry for our archives, I highlighted all the crucial points so that you wouldn't have to watch it, but we both know it doesnt work like that... also forget to mention a bit when Leeteuk (who is an adorable host throughout) does an absolute LOLcat singing rendition.
Really hoping Mir does L cosplay, But he's too loud for L ??! maybe? I cant picture Mir seperate from the tiny puppy these days, when Mir comesback I want the puppy to be oficial MBLAQ 6th member.

Alice - you I never got the full Chansung dream report? there was a sunset???! and yikes, thanks for doing my dreaming for me, GIFs aand all! I'm going to try and make your dreams come true, I will!

mouth still eerily ok, but stupid yellow bruise on jaw appeared.

Jessica Jane said...

It is total latest news to me worthy though.
I really love Leeteuk a lot, and I feel like I don't make the most of it at all. Watching him sing will definitely work towards making that discrepancy up.
Thinking about it, maybe Mir is a little too lively to be playing L. But then again, with this bad back and all, and now he has become a proud 'father', who knows what's in store.

InfiniteKM said...

I've patched together bits about Taemin that I've found completely fascinating. I know he was reading another philosophy book a few months ago. Place he wants to visit most: Paris. Of course there is the whole Emma Watson love... I am starting to wonder if the constantly not-asian hairstyle is something he's picking, because I've seen it when he has long black hair and IT IS GLORIOUS. (Star Dance Battle 20100923, if you're interested and haven't seen it)

Thank you for the review Bunny! I will definitely have to check into this as it really is a combination that shouldn't be missed!

Bunny said...

JJH - I'm sure Leeteuk love you too, i'm quite sure of it. I hope Mir's doing ok, if ever there was an energetic boy who would struggle to sit still and get some rest...

Loverholic - I hope you are filing all of this Taemin research away in a large leather bound journal with gold embossed text on the front. Its some wonderful research you've been doing.
I know the hair and the dance battle you mean! its been a while since he's had black hair, maybe the next comeback?
and you are welcome as always!

hogan said...

I looove your blog! Tellin' it like it is :)

There was an interview with SHINee once where Onew mentioned reading a lot of Bernard Werber- it was in Dazed&Confused magazine. Some of Bernard Werber's are available in English.

Another Kpop literary mention: in 'Wild Bunny', Chansung shows that he is reading Alain de Botton's 'Uncertainty'.

keep up the awesome posts :D

Bunny said...

Hey hogan,

thanks for reading and commenting! and thanks even more for invaluable k-pop literary insight! Did not expect that from Chansung!!

we will try our best to keep everything awesome here at Nunas.

Bunny x