Sunday 13 March 2011

A lesson in Korean honorifics.

"Ssi" (씨) pronounced "shi" is attached to the end of a person's full name (or first name if you are friendly with them) if they are of equal social / speech level to you. Used very similarly to "san" in Japanese language.

For example: "tomorrow Jessica-ssi and I are going on a double date with KimJaewook-ssi and No Minwoo-ssi"    (just a random example that sprang to mind...)

or "my favourite members of MBLAQ are YangSeungho-ssi and LeeJoon-ssi"

LeeJoon-ssi  & Seungho-ssi.  Extremely relevant photograph.

LeeJoon-ssi.  Lee Joon-ssi. Say it with a Korean accent. eee-jooon-she. ijhoonshe. isn't she. 
LeeJoon-ssi lovely,  LeeJoon-ssi wonderful.
Now let's try singing it to the tune of "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder 

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ LeeJoon-ssi lovely ~~ LeeJoon-ssi wonderful ~~ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

and now lets all sing it together and have beautiful blonde Joon-ssi dance around and then slide down a child's slide in the corner of the classroom set.... really....


Thank you South Korea,  thank you.
I think that come close to rivaling "Seungho - God of Eating" for best video existing on the internet today, but I can't be sure of anything right now.

- BUNNY

3 comments:

Jessica Jane said...

I don't know who I love more. You or him or them. Let's just say I LOVE KOREA!
I hadn't seen this yet today (serves me right for not checking google reader)!
What a gem.
Download, yes please. This is for keeps...appropriate for --any-- sad day.
I love it when learning is made fun!

Unknown said...

This post is funny and cute. It just made my day. Thank you. =)

Bunny said...

Irene - thank you! your comment just made my day!!