Monday 17 May 2010

We (don't) need a (Euro) club banger

So often blinded as I am by my K-pop force field, I like to sweep many things under the carpet, the undesirable underbelly of many a k-popped faux pas. What I am to hence forth discuss is not quite something that needs to be kept so tightly under (daily consciousness) wraps, but it is something I'm not over keen on all the same. This is in the form of the K - Euro - pop overlap.

It is something that has been much discussed apparently, but is something I managed to barricade out of my mind for the first nine months of my K-pop adoration onslaught. However, coming though this initial all-encompassing loving blindness, I start to see more and more similarities. You may ask why I have such an aversion to 'Europop', or rather the concept of it. I believe it stems from my childhood, and my regular attendance to French discotheques from a young age. Having my mother living in France since I was nine, every summer was a mainland Euro summer. Europop may have improved somewhat now, Italo disco is certainly chic (though it's more the blast from the past hits - 80's - that are really worth noting), but I'm still not sure I'll own up to any contemporary associations with it yet.

If you want to understand my aversion, take a little look at this for starters; see for yourself how totally different the two can be (K-pop and Europop), though the example of the Serbian terror Milan Stankovic:



I was fair enough to even pick someone that has made K-pop related plagiarism claims for this - to none other than G Dragon! No joke, this is the boy who claims GD plagiarised his style. As if! You may have blond hair and the occasional penchant for silver lipstick. But THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS. Don't you dare taint GD with your cheap little brush! Honestly.

I admit the above was his Eurovision entry, so I will be a little less biased:


Een with this slightly more realistic image of Milan though, no. This is not GD, NO WAY!

Somehow, because of conceiving Europop to be mostly like this, I've just never, until now, really allowed much of a link with K and Eurobeats. But, to be honest with you, if I have to admit to it, once the point of comparison was brought to my attention, with bands like UKISS I did start to see how you could link a bit of K-pop with a bit of Euro from time to time. Their style, UKISS that is, is rarely or consistently up to that of Big Bang or 2PM, and their beats can certainly be a little, how can I say it, cheesy? (sorry Bunny)

But I still think K wins through with it's super cool fashion and hot to trot reality TV accompaniments. Even as I say this, and comfort myself with these confident words, there are more worries on my K-Euro horizon. I was becoming willing to give into the K-Euro pop link on some fronts even, but not that of BIG BANG!

With the season of high sport upon us, K-pop national sport campaign videos have been cropping up left, right and centre! And this is where my issues mainly lie:


Major yikes. This is not what Big Bang is about, is it? The start makes me think so much of '3 Lions' that I want to cry.

Oh Shouting Korea, why? I appreciate the mini-Big Bang drama it is facilitating, I do, but not this travesty of a song. I thought the days of Big Bang musical embarrassments was dead and buried. Apparently not quite yet.
And, in case you wanted to make it even more of a Eurobeat banger, here's a lovely dance tutorial to accompany:



Oh dear oh dear. This is no Gara Gara Go aftermath!

I'm not suprised too that SuJu have been hauled into the Shouting Korea vortex, but so far I think 2PM are safe. I hope this is true, and it remains this way. But sadly, I doubt it will, as 2AM have evidently given in too:


At least Jo Kwon is keeping up the K- style end of the bargain I guess.

But I read there is to be a whole 2010 FIFA World Cup album --- sad times.

I never really liked sports that much in the first place, as especailly not football. And now to know that this is what is dragging Big Bang down from their sky high pedestal... Really, I think k-pop should stick to having minimal links with sporting affairs. No more of this please.

That said, I do not include United MTV in this disavowal, obviously:

Dream team, in the most honest sense of the phrase!

6 comments:

Bunny said...

Jessica Jessica, honestly this post is a wonder!! the insight into your europop infected summers, the coverage of plagerism, eurovison and the onset of k-pop world cup mania. I have so much to comment, you will have to excuse me if this reply becomes a essay in itself...

Stankovic, first and foremost I would like to make it clear that his plagerism claims are laughable, perhaps the continued effects of his home lightening hair bleach are affecting his mental wellbeing? and I check out his usual work and *rolls eyes* Big Bang it aint, and I in no way condone this maniac, however EUROVISION... that beautiful word, I LOVE IT SO MUCH, Its really so weird becasue when you asked his name earlier, I started thinking, what if he was in Eurovision?!! and now he freaking is!!! and his song... Im going to be completely honest here and tell you in terms of my eurovision judging criteria, if I had no context and background on this guy, I would see this and lose my mind, its eurovision perfection to me. I kind of want to hate him, but he keeps saying B B B B BALKANS and stripping off, i'm sorry, but I may have to support him just until the end of march. Really I cant emphasis how much I love eurovision. Its a sacred day for me, it even has its own category on my own blog.

My own eurobeat upbringing is different to your own.
Its largely incomparable, but in many ways I wonder if my love of kpop has been festering from my years of eurovision eurobeats??? I am completely uninformed about any other kinds of eurobeats, i have never taken a moment to investigate the chart toppers of our european neighbours and yet, I say this with no shame, I have eurovision songs on my ipod, including songs so bad they didnt even make it to the final... and i actually listen to these. I am a huge fan of the unexpected and kind of awful eurovision club banger. god i'm really talking too much and im getting across what im trying to say, i dont even know, just I love eurovision, I do see similarities between Kpop and eurovison and U-kiss always spring to mind... or Fcuz... but are eurobeats in general the same as eurobeats in eurovision? im confused now Stankovic is doing eurovision,, what if I had got really into serbian pop instead of kpop? god what an awful thought.

and although i hate the term, I suppose i have to admit it, and take the title, I like those cheesy beats. gross. I just listened to Fcuz "jiggy" and no lie, i could listen to it 5 times in a row? whats wrong with me!
Enough about me.

As for the football songs, I just started writing such a length reply (for some reason losely defending football songs?!) so im taking the overspill and writing a new post about it right now. but with regards to your examples: That Big Bang monstrosity (your three lions references, so true, so so sad) is bad, but for me the saving grace is that GD has managed to incorporate "shorty move your bam bam" into the lyrics. I love him forever for this.

Also TOP is looking so lean! and his dancing is looking so crisp! and then GD's dance demo is so cute its almost making me like this awful song, awful but no quite, I find it hard to disobey him though, if he tells me to move my "bam bam" once more, i might just do it.

The boy 2 to the left of Seungho, is in Fcuz right? he looks, tall, and nice and ... its taking every inch of self restraint to no go wild on google right now. Also so ashamed that all it takes to perk my interest this days is being tall and Korean. Also ashamed at how long this comment is, and that I mention Fcuz 3 (now 4) times...

Bunny said...

I have to leave another comment just to apologise again for that comment. I having the most unfocused evening. That comment was my one accomplishment, and I daren't re read it because I knew even as I wrote it that I was rambling wild.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it none the less!!

Jessica Jane said...

Yikes! It certainly was a lenthily little number, but I can only thank you for this. And I applaud your absolute and unabashed honesty, I really do. I think this is an ability that I lack, and this is why I write posts like this, and then realise that after lsitening to you, it may all be founded on a lie!

By this I mean that I too enjoy Eurovision as an event, though I do diverage in the fact that I don't listen to these songs outside of the event itself. And I think my enjoyable experience is mostly taken from the comedy involved. It would be mean and simplistic to say that I am laughing at them, as I am pretty sure that they are well aware of all tongue in cheek elements involved.

I admit that his hit is pretty damn Eurovision through and through. and this is fine. As long as it is no longer linked in mention to Big Bang.

I'm so sad that you got into K instead of Serbian pop. After talking about how much we have changed physically and mentally as a result of our addiction, imagine the effect that it would have had on you had it been the other way?! Not so cool.

I:m not the best knowledge on Eurobeats, but the are different from your standard Eurovision I'd say. But there is always the cross over - take Tatu for starters.

I guess it turns out that i have to admit that i do like the Euro, just not in the same way as K. Is that alright? Does it make everything said above pointless? I hope not.

And yes, GDs lyrics, always the saving grace of any bad song.
And the reason I included the video was mostly to celebrate how hot they look regardless of how silly the song and dance is. I should have made this more evident really...

I think he is F-cuz, yes. Uh oh!

Kayleigh said...

I wish I could write a more constructive comment on this wonderful blogpiece.
However, I just lost my mind watching the new MBLAQ video.
Like, seriously...MAJOR YIIIKES!!!!!!!

Bunny said...

I am pleased that my unashamed honesty is appreciated. I find this blogging venture somewhat of a self therapy session.

I was not in a healthy state of mind last night and my football song piece, remains incomplete for now.

I think all your reasoning is sound, and your appreciation of eurovision through laughing at them is perfectly allowed, this is the driving factor for me to, but at some point it just evolved to the point of downloading the songs to revel in their ridiculousness. I suppose in many ways I view them as "novelty tracks", this is certainly not the case with K, it may have its moments of ludicrous but it is no laughing matter to me. so it is agreed that we both like eurovision and kpop , as very separate entities.

Tatu really were terrible.

F-Cuz better watch out, they're on my "research" list.

Jessica Jane said...

Boy do I look forward to some sweet F-cuz research results!!!

And I'm so glad we can come to agreement on everything. So much to teach me Unnie. I appreciate it all.


p.s. well done on finishing the football piece. I will let you know my thoughts on this piece in the correct locale.
x