Tuesday 1 June 2010

The hard sell: Magic drag and Toucholic

There are a few reasons why I like these songs featuring Jang Geun Suk, and this is what I will be sharing today.

I always knew that Jang has a little bit of a musical past intertwined with his acting history, not least of all from his spectacular role in You're Beautiful. But I never really thought any more of it, not until an audio track of a song with his name on it popped into my eyeline a couple of weeks ago. What a surpise I thought, what could this be about? Sadly it got thrown to the back of a pile amid a K-pop seige that insued that week, and I pretty much forgot all about it. And then I remembered it, listened to it, and discovered the MV in the related videos alongside it. Bless youtube.

The song itself is nothing really to write home about, though it has a catchy tune, a bit of a pumping beat and a brilliant "Yepp, baby, baby, Yepp" chant which proves very difficult to shake off, trust me. I may even say that it verges on club banger. In fact, it would be I'm sure (though not quite of the Big Bang grade) if it didn't have the terrible interlude, quite so much SISTAR or overly proper accent/pronunciation coming from our Jang Geun Suk.

The video is something, however, which propelled me to repeat viewing, a number of times. The opening scene for one. His waggling finger. Fingers seem to be pretty symbollic in K-pop as far as I have seen (T.O.P is one of the founding reasons for this theory - more on this another time) and this video fits this mode of thinking pretty well. And yes I know it is for a touch screen phone but still, it does.

So yes, the first few scenes, from finger waggles to thread passing through the eye of a needle? Yes. It's not some type of biological reproductive animation as I had at first thought it to be - I think I blinked at missed the close up of wool the first time around and saw a sperm entering egg... Anyways, a few forceful finger points later Jang reclines in his chair with coffee and a smile, how nice. And then we see that, oh, he is a designer, as he raises up the delightful garment he has made whilst in his studio using the power of his finger alone.

Next up, motorbike - or should i say moped - scene. As he cruises the quiet roads of Seoul I couldn't help but notice the full array of facial expressions he shows. It's like a shoot for his first actors' portfolio or something - by no means a one trick pony with a single smile. This is also the point when I started to think that the title of the song should be "Magic drug" rather than "Magic Drag". He looks high as a kite - a theme that runs thoroughout pretty much.

And back to the finger, after some jokey non-contact collision with two cars. You show them Jang.
--Cue lame interlude--- I'm not too sure what he's saying, but frankly I'm not too bothered. I'm not a fan of breaks in songs really, not unless it's necessary. And this is not. The best bit about the secne is probably the baby chick that gets a frame or two.

Then the lame girl band. As a general rule, if it's not 2NE1 I'm not interested. I would love to be swayed, but the appearance of SISTAR just reinforces my reasoning. No fear though, the finger is back with the reinstatement of the banging beats. And I think he's as fond of the finger thing as I am, drawing it up to his heart.

Now, ready, here is the rap, just what you've been waiting for. Atop a balcony in white cropped jacket and arabian scarf combo. You show them Jang, show them how it's done. And if they are still not sure, point them in the right direction with that finger of yours.

To end, a bag thieving incident and a worthy hero. In the chase I was interested to see the near on tailed(?) t-shirt flapping about. It's not challenge to the You're Beautiful costumes, but still. This thief, little tyke, gets shown both the hand and finger by Jang, my how he must have been afraid.
Finally, however, looking though a girls bag and phone though after you've just saved the day, really Jang. We are left with an ambiguity - does she really like him, or is it the power of the finger?? Maybe you should decide:




So, I'd say that though this lacks that sexyness of many ad music videos, such as the wonderful Carribean Bay, it's probably one of the most entertaining I've seen of late.


What also deserves brief mention too, not only for the name alone, is a previous song Jang did for Samsung Yepp, Toucholic.

Some of the lyrics are pretty fab and again we get more of him rapping, and an even better tune I dare say.

Please keep it in mind that Jang raps these lines.

To be honest, I'd say the whole thing is worth a watch and a listen.



"Do, do, do, do, don't you want it"

"I'm a t, t, toucholiiiiic"


It may not be quite in the same league, but there is certainly a strong feeling of the 2PM's about this. A pretty pleasant surprise from someone that I hadn't counted on as having any real musical tastes or abilities. I must say, I kind of like him as a rapper. Go Jang.

12 comments:

Kayleigh said...

I just love this post. It's just dahling! Deevine!
But i'm not convinced Jessica Jane.
It sounds like toot to me.
I hear a glimmer of hope but as fast as it came it goes again.
Although I would rather listen to this than 'Winteria' or any of that other trash.

Jessica Jane said...

But Toucholic is so 2PM.

To be honest though, it made me laugh more than anything else.
CF videos and entire songs made just for advertising. God bless Korea.

And listen ghur, baby ghur, it's Wentoria.

Kayleigh said...

You'd better take that back bitch.
2PM it isn't, and no I DON'T want it.
But I wholeheartedly agree on Korean CFs being an art form all on their own.
Whatevs, Winteria is better anyway.

Jessica Jane said...

When you say this I imagine you doing the Haru Haru T.O.P jump of anger. Yikes.
*cue index finger pushed into forehead*

Shelley said...

Of late I'd forgotten all about the lovely Jang Geun Suk. I can't say that I enjoy the music all that much... but I LOVE the idea that he is addicted to (and has special powers of) touch.

Bunny said...

Ladies, I have waited a painful 7 days to be able to watch these and while they are not club banger material, they are passable and the presence of Jang Geun Suk's waggling finger and then quickly cured case of mysophobia really brought a smile to my face over my ceral this morning. To be fair in the right mood, a still image of the back of Jang Geun Suk's head would have a similar effect on me, but I will try and be more objective in my thoughts.

I must admit I do hear the 2PM in "touchoholic" but only CM level 2PM, (i'm talking about "follow your S(e)oul" not the colour one, or my guilty pleasure "SPRIS") Jess, I'm a little concerned, how could you have him pegged as low musical ability after YB? Is that not his dreamy voice on the soundtrack, or am I naive and they dubbed him? I thought he was just a singer and didnt see the rap coming, what a pleasant surprise, deep voiced rap is always encouraged. Which remind me I finally got new headphones (so i can stop wearing a broken pair backwards, the perils of being deaf in one ear) finally I have the bass side back in my left ear, and i remembered to turn on "bass booster" in my ipod which made listening to T.O.P a practically orgasmic experience.

I'm getting off track. all I wanted to say was, I approve of these slightly absurd touch based CMs, the facial expression repetoire will never get old, I could do with less SISTAR but at least they only got as far as holding hands. Also BOTH videos featured him rifling through a girls mobile, clearly Geun Suk has some privacy issues we'd need to discuss before dating but he's in for a shock anyway, as GD says "you should check your girl's phone that's my face in her frame" uh oh.

ps. wentoria, are we talking about CN Blue? I am the only one liking the terrible melodic pop rock? maybe dont answer me.

pps. Shelley, I LOVE that you made me realise that he'd ADDICTED to touch, I was a bit slow on putting that together, he just can't help himself, what a thought.

Jessica Jane said...

How does everyone ignore how much it sounds like 2PM - really Shelley, it's so 2PM I'm surprised it does nothing for you. And Bunny, has the week out left you desensitised?
But anyway, as long as you all enjoyed seeing him again, I guess that's enough for me.

And thank you from me also for making the addicted to touching link. I feel that I had kind of grasped the concept, but not quite to the effect of muttering these words. Thank you for making me see clearly here Shelley, I know I can always count on you. And I really am pround of how far you have come down the K-pop line.

As for Suk's singing expertise in YB Bunny, I have to tell you that it really does nothing for me. It's another case of the bed wetters I'm afraid. In fact, it is the only K-pop CD (the soundtrack) that I have ever bought and barely listened to. I certainly give the booklet a lot more time that the music, though I have to sound so shallow. Really, the only reason I do listen (rarely) is for the fond YB nostalgia that washes over me. And even then I think I would rather be watching the drama (if only I had a TV in my car up on the dashboard like every other Japanese driver --- IMAGINE, how many accidents would I cause?! It doesn't even bear worth thinking about.)

I'm so glad you have T.O.P's base back in your life. Honestly, I wish you could hear the way he makes me car speakers rattle at near on max volume. It's thrilling.

As for GD's face on my frame. I quite want to do this, just so I can have a little chortle to myslef as I open the phone and hear his voice in my head. Hopefully I could do it to the extent the person sitting beside me asks, "Wassup.."

Wentoria is indeed a CN reference. Kayleigh wont even let me play it on me ipod when sharing headphones :(

Shelley said...

Well, in light of this I will watch it again and listen hard for the 2pm goodness.

But Jessica, WHAT do you mean his voice in YB did nothing for you? I know Shin Woo was your ichiban but still.

Bunny, glad to hear your hearing the K to its full potential.

BTW Something I didnt mention before - boys wearing pompoms WORKS. Hadn't considered it until I saw Geun Suk running along wearing that cute scarf...
I am quite liking Korean fashion at the moment. I've relapsed somewhat - am back on the k-dramas - and the main girl in 'Personal Taste' has amazing outfits - think bowler hat, suspenders, cute jackets, knotted neckscarfs. I might be a little in love with her.
(^v^)

Bunny said...

Jessica , I said i DO hear the 2PM, but only a poor effort version.

I can't believe his voice does nothing for you! this is sounding eerily similar to our earlier "i can't believe Taeyang does nothing for you", but they i do enjoy Taeyangs voice, im just not that fussed, and you clearly enjoy some JGS rap, and the man himself, so lets call it stalemate.

The thought of you having a tv in your car would be terrifying, except i dont believe youd even manage to start the engine once YB was playing, I picture you in a deserted parking lot at 5am, having marathoned all 16 episodes, clutching the OST booklet to your heart and covered in the debris of a a marathon snackfest, unable to move or talk, no doubt the authorities would have to be called out and you'd be towed away.

T.O.P rattling through a sound system, dear lord, I think I might have to rent out a nightclub just for the two of us. You'll have to excuse me if I start grinding on the speaker...

Shelley you are so right about pompoms. That scarf really got me excited. I'm also a huge fan of bobble hats in kpop, even in inappropriate weather, or even worn indoors (even though I am strictly against this kind of fashion outside of the asian population)
How is Personal Taste? is that the one with the guy whos pretending to be gay, or am i thinking of something else?? and this girl sounds amazing, if i wasn't simultaneously half way through 10 different shows I'd be starting on it tonight!

Jessica Jane said...

I'm sorry Shelley, but I really don't like the music in YB that much. I'm no balladeer babes, sorry. I try my best to...
Glad you agree to revise your thoughts on the 2PM influence though, thanks.

As for this resumed drama addiction. I'm sorry if I was absolutely no help in keeping you off it, constantly telling you to watch more Korean TV programs. Reality TV they may have been, but really, it's all in the same ball park. Addiction is addiction. If you can get through the whole of YB in a week (and that's speading it thinly) you can certainly get through the BB doc, Wild Bunny and Hot blood men with similar haste.

Please let me know about Personal taste when you are done with it.

I think my resumed soap watching will be recommenced upon return to England, in an attempt to make me feel closer to Korea/Asia once again. Obviously for language practice too, she says.


Bunny, stalemate it is. Deal. And as for 2PM, I want to you hear prime time 2PM in it, not just the lower band.

Really, I don't know why I am banging this point home so much. I don't even like it that much. Let's just say that this is the last you'll hear of it. I think I got caught up in fighting the corner just for the fun it. Lol. The Taeyang corner this is not.

This YB viewing mania sounds so tempting. Essentially, this is what is going to occur in your front room (aka parking lot), only Ben will have to act as the authorities, and we'll be in a pair. The debris will definatly be there, as evidence of how we kept our energy up. Essentially, Shelley can vouch for me. She has already seen me comatosed on her bedroom floor, lap top just inches away, unable to drag myself away even to help her with dinner. Shelley, I still feel bad, I'm sorry.

Speaker grinding. LOL. I don't know if Brighton is ready for it. Maybe the Engine rooms?

fizzywoohoo said...

Hi Jessica, I'm Fizzywoohoo... somewhat of a stalker (the friendly & kpop loving kind) in this blog of yours and Bunny's..and here I am going through some of the older posts. I wanted to write something here because it was Jang Geun Suk that actually brought me to Bunny's other blog..and consequently, to this one...

Honestly, I've been smitten (very heavily I might add) by Jang Geun Suk ever since YB. And though you don't like his voice much, that's what got to me first. I'm a sucker for these kdrama love songs even if I can't understand a word of it. Sometimes when I like a drama so much it's hard for me to move on and watch another drama because I end up rewatching it...case in point, YB. Beethoven's Virus would have to wait a little while longer...

And as for the video, I must admit that when I saw it on youtube, I spent countless times rewinding that rap part. I shared it with a friend and she told me that, "He's even prettier than the girl in the video!" True. True. Not much of a girl band fan..except for 2NE1! Glad you like them too. For the longest time I wondered why they were the only girl band that's posted on your home page. I find them waaaay cooler than the other girl bands who try so hard to be cute but only end up annoying.

I'll try to look for that other song, Toucholic. Geun Suk, somewhat obsessed with touching..I'll take that anyday.

And before I go..may I just ask..why does it seem like it's not cool to like CN Blue? I don't hate them, (how can I hate a band that has Jung Yong Hwa in it?) I'm just curious because I have a friend who likes them too but she has the same issues about them not being cool?

Great job on this site! Keep it up.

Jessica Jane said...

Bunny and I never like to use the term stalker. If we did, then surely we would be condemning ourselves. Fan is fine, and most complimentary!

I guess I don't really dislike his voice in anyway - in fact, I think recently I have softened. I used to be all about the raps, but maybe I am becoming more amiable in my old age. I even found myself humming Gumiho love songs on the weekend!! Oh dear.
As for repeat viewings, I fully understand.

So happy to hear you like 2NE1 too. I'm trying to branch out on the girl bands...slowly. Also, I love Co-ed recently, which is kind of half of a girl band, so that's a start.

As for the C.N. Blue question, that is a hard one. I'm not really sure why it's not cool to like them. I sometimes think that it is their music that is not really cool enough, and they don't do so many cool things as the majority of boy bands. I think the need to have a hit reality TV show, and then they may make it into the realm of cool. Fingers crossed!