Friday 25 June 2010

Throw Your Elbows Up!

Sometimes I can tell that i'm going to like a song by the title alone, i'm a sucker for a catchy, repetitive, alliterative named tune, and onomatopoeia is a shoe in. "Sorry Sorry" (SuJu) "Ring Ding Dong" (SHINee) "Bang Bang Bang" (U-Kiss) all did not disappoint and so the track "Dang Dang Dang" (or Deng Deng Deng if you prefer) by Supreme Team caught my eye a couple of weeks ago. They're a Hip Hop K-pop duo so not necessarily on my radar, but the title got me to watch their MV and I liked their rapping, but then somehow completely forgot about them moments later (probably got distracted by some "American style pelvic dance" or a fresh faced maknae).

Supreme Team's Simon D kept cropping up in my subconscious, well he was cropping up in my Twitter stream to be more accurate, apparently he's one of Heechul's BFFs and Heedictator was on a wild Twitter picture frenzy with all his Simon D dates, (this one is probably the cutest, and when I say cutest i'm merely talking Heechul and bromance, sorry Simon D, you give me a slightly grumpy smug vibe, Heechul might be into that but i'm not). I didn't realise he was the Dang Dang Dang guy until I saw their comeback performance, the song was still catchy, the performance relied on a load of "rap pose" leaning on each other, again it didnt blow my mind, but this week on M Countdown they did something that earned them this blog post, a constantly moving backstage, green room, control room performance incorporating a lift, guest appearances from Infinite and MBLAQ and a inexplicable amount of bananas:


Throw your elbows up! look at Infinite those darlings, and then Simon and his dancers give G.O a bit of fright and Mir gets a chance to play up to camera with some attitude (i'm pretty proud of him not getting so excited he let out a trademark involuntary scream , a la Idol Army, but it seems only females get that response from Bang Mir) and there's some ultimate rap appreciation gestures going on, then Infinite again so pure and eager to please their hyungs they follow behind like a band of puppies, DongWoo clutching his bunch of bananas, Hoya has one too as Simon D reaches down to a table and plucks a whole bunch, whats this all about? Bananas everywhere, I notice my favourite Infinite boy L was reluctant to get involved initially, lurking at the back, but can be seen to be throwing at least a few elbows up by the time we've got rapper to rapper, bunch of bananas to bunch of bananas in shot, maybe the fact that L was dressed like a giant banana that day didn't fill him with confidence. Simon D maintains hold of the bananas throughout, he enters a lift, we cut to other Supreme Team guy "E-sens" (had to look up his name, poor guy who isnt Simon D...) in the control room, hes got dancers too (carefully guiding backwards past desks and machines I notice) until the both wind up coming out on stage (still with bananas) in front of an audience that looks positively... dead, what was up with that audience? Anyway, I liked it, largely because of Infinite, and MBLAQ and random banana prop, in the world of kpop music shows where the same flashing dazzling stage sets are polished to perfection each week, it was really nice to see something different. Its like when I watch the wrestling and they have a parking lot brawl or any scene set outside of the ring or the locker room, its exciting! Imagine you were watching Top of the Pops and the band performed in the editing suite, it would be a pleasant surprise. Well done Supreme Team, I enjoyed it and I now can't stop singing DANG DANG DANG.

Bananas. K-pop loves bananas. Time to roll out my favourite livejournal post ever which is a lengthy collection of the k-pop X banana phenomenon. I think the number one contender for the crown of Banana King is still 2PM Chansung, or Chanana as he is affectionately known. I'll leave it at that:

Photobucket

P.S. I'd been wondering for a while if Heechul & Lee Hongki are really such good friends (so tempting to put "friends" whenever its Hee related... but i'll control myself) then how come I never get a Twitter pic of them together?? Well my wishes were granted, he was also hanging out with Simon D and the crew and then later, one on one? date night.

P.P.S I have to write some more about Infinite! those boys! If it wasn't for a tangible way to include the epic banana picture post then I would have been writing only about Infinite today, Supreme Team wouldn't have even made it onto my maybe list. In case you missed it, Infinite performed Girl's Generation "Gee" (yes that textbook boys covering a girl's song classic, but it's always a showstopper!) and Wonder Girl's Tell Me, and HOLY SMOKES their dancing was perfect and beautiful Maknae has a princess voice to match (hes not going to help clear up those silly netizens remarks anytime soon), and then another damn fine rendition of my favourite coat tail flicking mashed potato dancing matching sockstravaganza Come Back Again. I've made my bed with Infinite (sadly only metaphorically) and now i'm happily laying in it.

- BUNNY 

4 comments:

kayleigh said...

Bunny, this song is the BOMB!!!
I hadn't even heard of this dream team.
And you're right. It was exciting! G.O. and Mir were priceless! We need more of this!
I would also like to state that the word verification for this comment is 'pusies'.
How dare they!

Bunny said...

pusies. WTF google, I reckon Simon D would punch someone out for that remark. I'm glad I could be one to drop the BOMB on you, now THROW THOSE ELBOWS UP!

Jessica Jane said...

I watched this side by side with Kayleigh, and I ditto all that she says. Thank you for introducing us, and what a pleasure it is.
I had never heard of this pair before on the song, and they are both a welcome addition.

Simon D is quite the dreamboat too I must say (sorry to the unnamed other). I can do moody.

Oh Mir, really. He starts off looking cool, but he just gets too excited. (we'll leave the deep V out of this).
And Infinate - IT IS LIKE WATCHING THE 'COOL' 15 YEAR OLD BOYS AT A SCHOOL DISCO. Chill out kids, it's not that badass.
And the lift, the lift scene - lol. And then a match edit to the 'control room' with hooded youths. SO BADASS! Rain had better watch it.
The bananas though, seriously, someone tell me why. I have to know.
Not to simply mirror all that you have said, but the audience are AWFUL! Mom, seriously, go home! Ungrateful terrors!

With Infinate Maknae I definately feel like we have a bit of a KwonXTaeminnie on our hands. I think many good things will come from this. Cherub. I'd make an Infinate click on square based on this alone.

Bunny said...

Whilst I'm not on board the Simon D dreamboat express, i do appreciate a low voiced growling rapper, I know we all do.

Your comment on Mir works for pretty much every time he's on TV and not performing, sometimes even when he is performing.

Bless Infinite for being involved though and their desperate rookie willingness to please, long may it last.

Why didn't Rain think of this? I thought he was a genius (at least in terms of public displays of body parts and masterminding a group of faultless hotties) he really could use some new ideas for performances (and im not thinking boxing gloves and a lace up bolero).

Can you imagine , IMAGINE if Kayleigh, you and I up in that audience?!! We would be bouncing out of our seats, I think I would like out a high pitched siren like moan from the moment I first entered the studio, we would be delirious from k-pop, i'd be standing on my chair, heck i'd be standing on ajumma's shoulders. That'd wake them up. ungrateful indeed.

KwonXTaeminnie! KWONMIN, good call.

Thats it, i'm making them a click square.