Saturday 12 June 2010

My whirwind romance with Infinite

I've been struggling to get back into the swing of things post holiday and whilst I have several planned pieces in line with screenshots and GIFs ready and waiting, but they all got pushed aside for something I only discovered with my breakfast this morning yesterday Thursday morning, yet more new kids on the block....

INFINITE

7 member boyband signed to "Woolim entertainment" (its a new one on me...) and "produced" (both the music and in general? but they deny this and say they are just "hyungs" who knows..) by popular kpop indie hip hop group Epik High, consisting of Tablo (cute, interesting, Canadian Korean,I highly recommend a read of his wikipedia entry, particularly the bit about the time he was kicked out of his school orchestra for playing the Jurassic park soundtrack whilst the rest of them played Brandenburg Concerto No.3...), Mithra (the loveable kind of chubby guy with a beard who had a love 'scandal' with Kim Heechul..) & DJ Tukutz (who I don't really know anything about but that's cause he's currently in the army). Anyway Infinite, all it took was one look at the video and I was SOLD. I'm a blogging dilemma here, do I tell you why I like them and then show you the video? or let you watch the video and then argue my case? chances are you've already seen the video (I mean i've watched it about 15 times already myself) so lets just go for it, and then i'll discuss (by discuss I mean, tell you how it is...).

All you need to know in advance is that there is no real "point" or "making sense" in this video (aside from various methods of communication summon the members of Infinite to travel by various ludicrous methods of transport to somewhere), so just go with it, and the youngest is a 93-er so no need to beat yourself up for feeling like a complete dirtbag (well, not too much) and the song is GREAT and if you're not to taken with it then give it another 14 watches and you'll be whistling it at the bus stop in no time :


Now THAT is a debut video right there, and now i'm going to tell you why its so great...

Consider first that the average kpop MV standard is a video compiled of either option A - 2 different minimal glossy stage sets (filmed inside a studio somewhere with a lot of fancy lighting) with different outifits (sometimes one features the dancing more, and one features the singing more) and then some additional close up shots filmed somewhere else or on part of one of the previous backgrounds OR option B - same as option A but one of the minimal glossy stage sets is replaced by some kind of party/liveshow/streetscene/storyline maybe with some extras but either way it is 90% dancing in a minimal glossy space with fancy lighting. Infinite shake things up, we have dancing in the rain in the street, dancing in suits in the dark street/dockyard?, the group shots in the limo, the shots/storyline (?!) in the houses, the multiple methods of transport action shots, and then close ups on said mode of transport, and the final ending comedy scene. This is a far cry from some black suits in a white room and some white suits in a black room type of deal.

Lets look further, the dancing in the fake rain shower in the street is not only a great idea (rain showers on K-pop boys is always appreciated) but you'll notice they are wearing polo shirts without a popped collar in sight! and buttoned to the top! what preppy beauties!

In contrast the fringed back suits with ankle grazing trousers and stripey socks are the "cool and sexy" component of the video, i'll also take this moment to tell you that I LOVE the dance and all the coat tail swishing and shoe shuffling joy and after my 5th or so viewing I was practically begging for their debut stage to arrive so I could see them dance the whole song (Ive been writing this post for so long that I eventually got my wish and they sure did not disappoint!)

Now we all saw it, but in case you thought it was all a beautiful dream I'd like to confirm for you that the video you just watched did indeed include teleportation, a golf buggy, a segway, a limo, a quad bike, a motorbike with sidecar, and awful lot of ridiculous / bordering on inappropriate fashion items and of course a fennec fox wearing a necklace.

A round of applause for whoever wrote this video treatment please, and I forgot to mention we even got a brief but very much appreciated shower scene:

I'm sorry I think my bias is showing.


That "ridiculous / bordering on inappropriate fashion" really deserves some screen captures of its own, but I could be here another 5 hours if I start that so instead just take a look at this promo shot of the boys and you'll get the general idea:

SOCK TERROR

One I really can't let slip by unmentioned would be the "leather daddy punk" on the segway who fresh from the shower puts on his "LADY PINK PUNK" t-shirt, studded choker (!!!YIKES!!!), 3 bracelets, diamonte skull king belt buckle on tartan punk pants with triple chain and tops it all off with a (yet further) homoerotic pseudo nazi officer's hat. God damn this boy is lucky he's my favourite because really there is enough fodder there to make him my k-pop laughing stock until the end of time, and really the green yankee doodle dandy hat in the limo (and the promo photo, and the press conference...) is not helping his case much.

This anxious lip biting conveys how nervous we all feel about this outfit and riding a segway down a major road.

Oh and my eagle eyed boy pointed out this weird nazi S.S M&Ms character badge:

Just look at all that accessorising going on with these two, it's no wonder they're a "couple":


To tell you the truth they remind me a lot of SHINee, the nostalgic preppy polo shirts, the beauty defying too skinny maknae, the ridiculous novelty over accessorising concept, the super tight dance synchro formations, the overall fresh contemporary feel, autotune only in the right places and a song that is just past perfectly uplifting edgy pop and on its way to party banger, and I suppose a similar age range, yes! Shinee! Shinee! SHINee! Boy oh boy do I love SHINee and it may seem like a whirlwind romance but boy oh boy I think I love Infinite.
I mean its only been 3 days but I've rewatched that video religiously, I downloaded the mini album and was pretty into it, I eagerly awaited their debut stage and then squealed with excitement and was blown away, I even watched the first 2 episodes of their reality show ("Infinite, you're my oppa" Epik High arrange for a 18? yr old school girl "little sister" to move in with the 7 members of Infinite to their shared house with one bedroom and they have to make her food, take her to school, look after her etc) if any more had been subbed I would have watched it all (marathon style) and if this wasn't proof enough, I HAVE LEARNED THEIR NAMES ALREADY! Super Junior had to wait 7 months or more, Infinite took me 3 days.

Here's an intro compiled from my intensive 3 day research, and these name spellings seem to vary all over the place but i'm going with the official website version:

SungKyu/SungGyu
LEADER
Powerful vocals and seems like the lovely kind hearted elder hyung leader we have come to expect from our k-pop. From "you're my oppa" he comes across as in charge but kind of giggly. He reminds me of sterner looking Jay Park but with Junho's apologetic eyebrow/eye expressions? He's kind of easy to identify because... well he's the one who's the leader! Not the biggest fan of the too short mini mohawk hair, but then as we all know sometimes they start out with one of those ugly crops and end up with perfection, or they have something wonderful going and then they ruin it all, either way, a softer look and a fringe is ALWAYS prefered.

L
"in charge of VISUAL" / the "FACE"
Yep, his name is "L" just like in Deathnote... ok so his real name is MyungSoo but apparently its also L, and he's charismatic but mysterious, and dark and brooding and shy, and I totally fell for it all and hence he's already got 3 screen captures. I like him, he seems to be be able to sing, dance, act, look emo, and be "in charge of visual" whatever that entails. He doesn't take any crap from the little sister on I,YMO either. I'm not like head over heels in lust or anything, just, this one's my favourite (and the thought of future Deathnote themed photoshoots excites me no end, L as Kenichi as L!)

DongWoo
RAPPER
He's the one I haven't really warmed to, which is a nice way of saying, he's not cute at all, in the TV show he is weird and not in an endearing way, all this being said, its some nice RAP! good work on that. In performances he's great, in the reality show not so much, in the video i'm not sure, but then he does get of his skateboard and hold hands with the baby member so i'll give him a break. Oh and at certain angles he totally reminds me of muscle face.

Hoya
"DANCE machine" and rapper
His real name is something else I don't remember but that's his name and hes so cool he gets to a mononym. I think he might be my second fav despite his habit of slightly crooked facial expressions, I'd say the charm is in the powerful eyebrows. Also I realised he looks pretty much like the cutie in Z:EA whose name I just learned today, oh shit I forgot already and had to look it up again, ah! Dong Jun. and maybe a bit like Xiah?

WooHyun
MAIN VOCAL
Considering he's the "main vocal" (although i suppose the leader is really on this song) it was pretty hard to get a clear shot of his face, lots of shots of his beautiful hair though bouncing in the breeze as he runs. Another good looking boy, and I could be mixing them up now but i'm pretty sure he seemed like the "gentleman" one on their TV show. He reminds me of someone else too but I'm not quite sure who it is.

SungJong
MAKNAE
Another milky white skin teen dream, what a doll, he's no Lee Taemin, but no one can ever compete with perfection. Even though it could be nauseating when he could borderline be a girl, I like them playing up his cuteness. I wonder how long before they find a reason to put a wig and some make up on the poor boy, im guessing not long. Also from their debut stage he doesnt get much of a chance to sing but has that cute earnest maknae expression like he's just happy to be there.

SungYeol
"Beautiful" & "Tall"...?
I'm not sure what his official role is but his teleporting skills will no doubt be remembered. He kind of looks like DongHo (ukiss) whilst also reminding me of Thunder and CN Bass Player. He's the one that seems nice, but I don't feel like i'm that attached to him yet and his fringe is too short. I felt sorry for him because he had to dance in gum boots on the debut stage.

Here's that debut stage I keep going on about:


Seriously though, I think that's impressive, they seemed like pro's not rookies, and the dancing was tight and the vocals were great. A+ for Infinite. HWAITING!

Would you like to join me and my intense 3 day love Infinite adoption program? want more? here are the best bits i've found:

OFFICIAL WEBSITE WITH GALLERY OF WONDER

SOME PICTURES FROM THEIR SHOWCASE

TRANSLATED INTERVIEW IF YOU WANT TO "GET TO KNOW" THEM

UNLIMITED INFINITE

oh and maybe I should have put this at the start not the end but apparently:

"Infinite is an idol group, but they are going to bring the trendy songs in the pop world to life and will try their best to get rid of autotune and will try their best to break free from songs that provoke people’s peripheral nerves.” source

I thought I liked having my peripheral nerves provoked?? make of this what you will.

PS. Will it be terrible if I'm really fickle and loose all interest in these guys as soon as SHINee are back on the scene? Infinite VS SHINee dance battle?

 - BUNNY

10 comments:

Jessica Jane said...

Wow Bunny, what a fantastically enlightening post. And a joy to return home to.
I had seen the video once and had left it at that. I think it was because of the accessories, no joke. Oh course I had noticed the slicked hair polo shirt promo shot numberous times in my reader, but still I resisted. No longer. Don't ask why I was resisting, as I'm not sure myself, but luckily this is no longer an issue.

I think the music was not what I wanted to hear, or so I thought. But then you bought up SHINee, where it all started, and my heart softened. Enough to forego the lack of part banger and auto tune and remember when I was a little more gentle in my ways. It is a good pop song, and I like it. Sold.

No, as for the boys themselves. It's like you told my mind what to think as the thought apparently formed perfectly in unison with what I read. I.e. I couldn't have put it better myself. The Jaebeom reference and Muscle face. My oh my! You got it in one.

I'm pretty down with Hoya and Woohyun I must say. They caught my eye from the start. And I can definately work with L. I wish they would accessorise down a little though. Maybe the next song...
p.s. I think Hoya does have the good bits of Xiah, yes. Let's hope he doesn't get on the choker wagon though.

SungYeol occassionally reminds me of Kwang. Is this ok? And I'm happy you likened him to DongHo too. But since you made reference to CN bassist and Thunder too, does this mean you are not a real fan of his? Treading dangerous ground it seems.

As for the Maknae, what a little foll face. I love how '93 has developed to not being an inappropriate birth date. I.e. leagal. lol. Naughty nunas we are.

Yay for peripheral nerves.

Really, thank you very much for putting this together, I am most grateful. Funnily enough, I have watched part of the "You're my Oppa" show - maybe I will watch it properly from now on (as if the list needed to increase!!!)

Bunny said...

I did wonder as the days went by, if you were with me in the Infinite whirlwind or if you had been put off by the over accessorising and lack of auto tune. I 'm pleased my post had a positive effect.

I think we can assume the accessory overload was probably the work of an over excited stylist, "a new group? a fresh youthful look? now where did i put the studded cuffs and plastic chains..."

I don't see much Kwang in Sungyeol but if you do then go for it, as long as you're pro Inifite, i'm happy. The jury is still out to whether or not i'm putting him with Thunder and CN Bassist in that sense, i'm not totally sold on him, but its early days yet.

Its worrying to thing that every year the appropriate birthdate year will change but those maknae ages will always be 17 whilst the clock is ticking for us... oh well.

You're my oppa is pretty good! I got quite enraged to discover only 2 episodes had been subbed. at least that forces us to pace ourselves... for now anyway.

And SHINee comeback in July!!! If Infinite can stick around long enough I might even get to see my dream of a dance contest between the 2 at some kind of summer spectacular. My first loves will always be number 1 in my heart. so fantastic so elastic.

Jessica Jane said...

Oh how a dance battle would heat up my summer all the more. I'll live in hope.

And yes, I do like them. But I need a little more. Kayleigh and I had an impassioned conversation over Maknae, I think he may be leading the way.

I see a lot of potential, and consider them a little like BEAST. If they are going to blow me away, I feel it may be with a second album. The wait will probably do me good.

I will let you know as and when I'm on 'You're my oppa'.


p.s. no more talk of the ticking clock please.

Bunny said...

I am holding my breath for several dance battles this summer. I want Infinite VS Shinee, a 2PM/2AM/ONEday collaboration, round 2 of MBLAQ VS BEAST, SuJu VS someone... not to mention an "american style" pelvic dance off, beastly shirt ripping dance off, Lee Joon ballet recital and TAEMIN TAEMIN POPPING TAEMIN. do you think my list is too long?

Ahhhh the maknae, is a beauty, did you see those Marie Clare photos? not enough Hoya (who was in dreamy specs no less!) i'd say.

Thats fine if you're holding on for the second album, but i'm already there, front row, waving my banner and screaming the fanchant. Ive been giving the album more time and i'm even listening through the ballad track... yikes, i fell hard for these boys!

You're my oppa 3 is out, its certainly not the greatest reality show as they have the whole awkward over trying first TV show not sure what entertainment really is so just act like idiots and hope for the best. However one of the writers certainly knows what entertainment is as episode 3 has a trip to the bath house ! the caption "nipple party" appears, i'll leave it at that.

p.s. i promise never again. I cant believe i even wrote it, I just read it back and depressed myself, Unnie didn't mean it xxx

Jessica Jane said...

I think you wish list is just the start. I just hope and beg that someone answers your prayers. BEAST almighty is already over, but there must be more wish answering Kpop shows coming up soon...

I'm glad you already there waving the banner. You will be laughing in my face and telling me "Unnie told you so" when I realise how much time I wasted, and how I've lost dibs on the one who turns out my ichiban.
As they managing to uphold in the wake of TOP this week?

Ah Maknae, those precious pics. I was VERY impressed at that shoot.
Yes to more Hoya. I like him too.

I will try and making to viewing this so called "nipple party" soon. Poor prepubescent dolls.


p.s. What didn't you mean? was there something untoward?

Bunny said...

I so annoyed at myself for not finishing the Beast documentary quick enough and now its been taken down off YouTube, I have yet to start on Almighty so i have all that joy to come, and I think it might be next on my list, unless something new crops up within the next few hours.

I will try and bite my tongue when the day to gloat comes, I will be most surprised if L's charms don't get through to you before the summer is out, i mean he has a creepy smug smile, but his concept is to be weird and moody so thankfully we dont have to worry about it. roll on the nipple party. please dont say they're pre pubescent (at least not all of them) you're making me feel like even more of a dirtbag than usual ha! its not like they're D-NA, every time I read an article which mentions that D-NA are the youngest k-poppers on the scene, with average age of 18.5 (17) I hear alarm bells in my head and have to look away for fear of attraction.

ps. I didn't mean the thing I wrote that I then retracted and said I wouldn't mention again, the thing about a ticking clock......

Jessica Jane said...

Videos being taken down from youtube is something that I live in contant fear of, and it's a race i'm often terrified of losing.
I send the gayo new year DVD you made me home and needed checkerboard GD images. So i searched on youtube but just couldn't find it. Lucky there were a couple of still photos, but I would have prefered a full body shot, and a before and after inc. monk drapery. That a saddening foray.

Once I have calmed down a bit, i.e. post TOP, I will try to spend some more time with Infinate, and see if L doesn't work his magic. But there is so little time before the TaeyangXDara video release and then SHINee and then Big Bang. I hope Infinate can get a song in edgeways! I'll try my best to make time. If not, you have some work to do in August.

Oh yes, the clock. The only tick tocking I want to see is that of Joon in the Y video opening please. That will do nicely.

Bunny said...

Oh JJH if you needed hooded monk drapery all you needed was visit to my Twitter page background image, beautiful hooded monk GD complete with bleary tearing eyes and "bitch, please" expression. I feel its an image that so often captures my own emotional standpoint.

I am slightly worried about the lack of time between Taeyang and SHINee, did you hear the tiny teasers from SHINee's choreographer? "if ring ding dong was sexy then this is ...funky?!" "if ring ding dong was red, then this is ...blue?!" The first thing that springs to mind is a kpop cover of Under the Sea from the Little Mermaid. also he said 2 DRASTIC hair changes, you don't think they'd ever make Minho blonde would they??? eeeeeeeek. what a worry.

Jessica Jane said...

Oh GD the monk. He is an A TYPE (you will never hear the end of this), so I think it's fair to say that he visually manifests your conflicting inner anxieties at these times.

So, SHINee's "new hair". Really, I am very to see any sufficient proof of much change. But under the hats some avid netizen sees this:

Taemin’s mushroom-inspired days seem to be over, Minho is back to black, and Key’s hair may be… non-existent?

LOL.

Minho has better not go blond as i'm pretty POSITIVE (as much as my blood type is!) that it will not suit him. And I'm about at the end of my tether with his bad hair.

Jessica Jane said...

p.s. Funky?! It better not be.