Friday 1 July 2011

Now that's rock and roll!

In the past I have posted about some pretty great K-popping imagery/fashionista looks that have crossed over into the realm of metal and the gothic. If you have read either of these , you will know that I am totally into my Princes of Darkness and Angels of Death, a throwback from my past that happily endures on. This time, however, I am fangirl-ing at some true (maybe 'tru' is better, like the 'nu' of 'nu metal') K-rockstars! I think I should probably still call it K-pop, I don't think K-rock seems right, and I think they may consider themselves K-pop, who knows. If the term doesn't already exist, I will coin K-pop-rock. It sounds like a sweet. Oh wait, it is a sweet pretty much. Well that's fine, because let me tell you, I am pretty sweet on these boys myself.

Introducing, Yanghwajin band.

Admittedly not the 'product placement' that I would have proposed, but really, it's nothing like this kind of front centre, left a bit, travesty. And let's all just pretend that we didn't find this in the archives. Though fifteen-year-old me would totally have fought to be friends with this motley gang.

They are so rock that they don't even have a catchy idol name. No acronyms as far as I'm aware.

Hyun Woobin (1992) is the vocals of the group. Blood type AB. 182cm.

Kim Dohyung (1992) is the guitarist. Blood type A. 176cm

Jang Kyunjung (1992) is the bassist. Blood type O. 181cm.

Choi Jaemin (1994) is the drummer. Blood type O. 180cm.

Choi Youngin (1995) is the second guitarist. Blood type O. 170cm. (Bunny, please don't take it out on the whole band...)


Now, yes, I admit that they are dreamy boys (4 out of 5) but this is not why I love them (though it maybe was the reason why I first started investigating them). I am genuinely convinced that they are super cool and really talented. They haven't properly debuted yet, but the song they are famous for, if they can be called famous yet, is the OST for the drama City Hunter, the song being It's alright (I really did think that they were singing "We're so rock" the first time I listened). This song is, again, not the reason I love them, though I do like it, as a real song, a lot. I like the choral slightly high toned chorus. And I love the little scream at the end, great work.

But the reason I feel so warm towards them is their covers. I will start you off slowly, saving the best til last...

Miss A, Bad Girl Good Girl :


Look at them, playing their instruments, doing a bit of great improv., and having fun and acting like they should be at this age! (I really dig their choreography at around 2:33).

They have also done good things with 2NE1's Can't Nobody (take notice of the GREAT bleach blond undercut twinned with a KISS t-shirt, but please ignore what I think may be school uniforms in other parts...) and Lonely, and H.O.T's Candy (listen and watch past 1:10 please!! This is where is 'drops'. And there's a SLASH poster at 1:35, bedroom door and a bit of headbanging right at the end).

But the money shot, the pinnacle, comes in the form of a couple of actual heavy metal covers! YES! They don't just have the t-shirts and posters, put they actually know the songs!!! You can see them performing Back in Black, or the crème de la crème, HOLY DIIIIIIVER!



It's not the best cover of this song ever made, but it's pretty fantastic considering it's played by a bunch of S. Korean 16-19 year olds. Great job boys, double thumbs up from me. After seeing this video I trawled and trawled for more, but sadly I could not come up with anything else (just a We No Speak Americano cover I'm trying to ignore, even though they do really well with the pronunciation!!) They did tweet something about Smells Like Teen Spirit and I nearly lost it altogether, but I've not managed to locate a version yet...

Though what I did find was their reality TV show, Legendary Band (밴드 정무문), which made everything make a whole lot more sense, kind of. They seem to go on there, do some performing and get advice from the greats, like Boohwal, who they also preform against in some type of totally unfair but paired down Battle of the Bands. Unfortunately I can't find any subtitled episodes, but what I have watched is still pretty entertaining, especially if you love K-pop-rock X metal as much as I do. In the first episode, there is screaming coaching from Boohwal leader Kim Tae Won (5:20) as well as simultaneous beat boxing and bass playing from Kyunjung (5:55). Watching their little faces as they are taught how to be rock and roll, studying tentatively and learning, who needs subtitles! They are taught play with your teeth boys, tap faster, that's the way to do it! That's how to be rock and roll! Then, when we get a rendition of Mary had a Little Lamb (7.30) played with teeth on an electric guitar I just about die. The moral of this story is that I am a pretty happy nuna.

I never thought I would be lucky enough to see the day when I get to revel in K-pop-rockers studying Metallica (see episode 2) and playing Dio covers!! This has all gotten me so excited for 2AM's Jinwoon's rock album debut, and has made me want to swoon over No Min Woo in Rock Rock Rock (docu-drama about the life of Kim Tae Won, lead guitarist of the legendary rock band Boohwal, or “Resurrection”, as well as the different people who played a part in its history, such as former lead vocalist Lee Seung Chul) all over again. I love it when K-pop crosses paths with something else that I love almost equally as much, say metal! Thank you Yanghwajin band. I will be waiting for you with open arms and ears.

My only worry, and apparently many others' too, is that they are with Can Entertainment :( This is the same company as F.Cuz, and I'm sure you don't need me to remind you what has been going on there as of late :'(
Fingers crossed these boys make it through to debut!!! Hwaiting!

7 comments:

Bunny said...

Oh Jessica, Jessica Jane. Maximum saranghaeeeeeee.
This post is the absolute greatest thing I have read in months, if not years!!! Seriously it brought me such joy! I may or may not have read it last night in bed at about 2am when I really should have been asleep, but I just couldn’t stop, I watched every video clip, in its entirety, (up to the tv episodes where I really had to stop myself) and it is totally worth the lost hour of sleep.

Oh how I love you, and them! I don’t even know where to start, and you can also be blissfully proud of yourself that I didn’t know any of this!! I had seen the 2NE1 cover before, I remember the trio of bleach bonde babes, I even vaguely remember us maybe discussing it for all of 30 seconds and then for some reason I remember nothing more. I am so so so eternally glad that you took it upon yourself to search every corner of the interweb and present such a masterpiece of blog posting. Oh it makes me so happy!

Now I will try and comment in the spirit of my near euphoria at 2am last night, despite the fact it is not even 11am and I am at work. (although im only posting now, stupid internet)

“K-rock” is the official term I believe , it does get used, and we will most likely need to keep an eye out for in Tokyo, when we start frequenting indie gigs with “k-rock” on the bill.

Lol their promo shot where someone felt the need to use the mirrored floor effect when they are cropped so they look like they are standing in an oil slick up to their thighs. I can’t even tell who the 1 out of 5 no is?!

Seriously, maybe it’s the effect of a HOLY DIVER cover, but I am so into them, do you know how into them I am? 170cm? no big deal. Yep. I said it. (although 95 jeez I’m only going to be patting him on the head anyway)

Before I even got as far as the covers and was completely sold after about 5 seconds, I thoroughly enjoyed the City Hunter MV, but that had more to do with me really enjoying Lee Minho in action/mudbath/showerscene. May have to watch sometime..

Anyway, I don’t want to detract from the YangHwaJin band (a name so forgettable I just had to scroll up to check it) even for a moment in the comments. The covers! The videos! They are WONDERFUL. Bad Girl Good Girl might even be my favourite!

Teenage Korean boys who like 80s metal. I cannot think of a happier thought right now. I so so so wish they would come and visit my exhibition, can we arrange some kind of coach party??

Tonight I am watching these none subtitled episodes that sound HEAVENLY. I want more tv shows, I want more singles, I want more , everything, more covers, MORE.
And come on Jinswoon, I cant wait much longer!

And I still haven’t even watched rock rock rock, I’m going to explode !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New ambition in life, me, you and yanghwajin band sing 80s metal hits at karaoke. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Thank you so much for this xxxxxxx

ps. now im posting this and its midnight, i didnt get to watch any of the episodes, but tomorrow ne... x

K-Sensei said...

*GULP*

Jessica Jane said...

Thank you for your enthusiasm, really, thank you! Can't believe I was one of the causes for you staying up late last night though!!! That's not allowed, not now you're a real worker!

On the other hand, so happy that I managed to show you something kind of new. Yay. A rare treat I must say. Trio of blond babes indeed.

so, K-rock. I know it exists, but can boys that come so close to being idols be classified as this? Will Boohwal tell me off if I do? Of are they transgressing boundaries, making out a new territory? I just don't know.
***Tokyo K-rock here we come***

Oil slick ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
The no was going to be the maknae, because to be fair, most of the other solo shots for him I avoided. However, he is no Yoseob, he's no stain in the line-up, just not en par with the others maybe.
Cannot believe you said that 170cm is "no big deal". I feel like this is a one in a lifetime total eclipse of the sun or something..!

City hunter = want to watch.

Coach party to the exhibition. IT'S ON! Nuna rehab© day outing. We may need to hold their hands, one either side, so that they don't get lost of touch the art or something.

Karaoke idea is possibly the best idea you've ever had. Think of the screams, screams of metal, delight, euphoria...it would never end.

So glad you like them as much as I do.
xxx

Bunny said...

K-rock, hmm, what do we call FT Island and CN BLUE.. are they just K-pop? but CN BLUE write a lot of their own songs... and they like... errrmmm Bon Jovi...

I don't quite yet know where the YHJ Band fit on the scale of Boohwal to Girls Generation. And what do we do with Led Appfel?

We might have to hold a board meeting and discuss our classification system.

"stain in the line up" ahahahahahahaahahhahahahha

170cm... might still grow anyway..

Coach Party, its a date, the exhibition has an awful lot of things to listen to on headphones, we'll also need to take special care to maintain their perfect hairstyles and re adjust any out of place side burns. There are some guitars and a drum kit to play, perhaps i can pause Judas Priest and we can get an intimate performance of bad girl good girl.

xxxxxxxxxxx

KARAOKE. <3

Jessica Jane said...

In trying to think up names CN Blue and FT hadn't even featured in my trying to decide where to located them 'on the scale'. Whoops! They have to be classed as K-pop though, even if they do write their own songs. Didn't you hear, everyone writes their own stuff these days. There was GD, and now it's Junsu, Junho, Zico, someone in B1A4...you name it!

Are LED Appfel even human? Are they not totally off the scale? The were in their past form though I don't know about now :(

As for the coach party, we will be turning up on the 15th around half three or four, hope that's ok.
xxx

Bunny said...

tsk tsk tsk, everytime you say something mean about FT Island somewhere out there a Primadonna is weeping, probably Jonghoon himself. CN & FT have their own scale, its the scale with Maroon 5 and j-pop in it.

GD is like a holy god in comparison to some of those time wasters. Junho needed have bothered, "aint no shunshine" guitar covers would have sufficed for life, but if it makes him happy, thats fine <3

OK, ive made a note, coach party booked in, we have some colouring in and puzzles to do at the back so i'll make sure thats all fully set up for you all. xxx

Jessica Jane said...

Oh done, I don't mean to say something mean about them. It's only about their music. I wish I could hermetically seal the two off sometimes...but I know I can't. I don't want to ever make Jonghoon weep, never.

GD is always like a holy god, silly unnie.
(May have to agree with the Junho comment. But if it really does make him happy, then ok.)

Next week can't get here fast enough!!!!!