Friday 16 April 2010

Comeback concerns

All this talk of comebacks in the K-pop scene lately has been getting me rather over-excited. Of late I feel that I really have bought up pretty much everything I (musically, K-pop) want to own, and cannot wait for new gems to hit the Tower Records shelves. However, amidst this joy and elation, some concerns have been born today, buy no other than the ones that I count on most in the world of K.

Yes, Big Bang, I hope you are listening well, because I want to know exactly what the hell you mean by this:

Uh oh...I think there may be a problem with this new concept look.

I am mainly talking to T.O.P and GD here - T.O.P from the just published smoking hot Elle shoot and GD straight out of the cool cat Heartbreaker phase. Really, what on earth are you thinking to go from this:

see T.O.P's previously noted chic crimp and GD's stunning undercut bowl

to premature grey/silver nothing crop and gelled(!) side incline skip jump?! Really boys, I can't believe my eyes - you are the last band I expected such misdemeanors from. Again, as afore mentioned, I know you have both had your hair faux pas in the past, but I thought you had learned your lesson from these, or at least gotten all of this sillyness out of your systems. It now seems that this was merely wishful thinking on my behalf.
In all honesty, I had a purple/blue version of T.O.P's miscalculated colour when I was fifteen, and GD resembles (in terms of hair style) many of the boys I attended secondary school with - these colours and styles are from a bad past - and this is where they should say, along with diabolo's and Insane Clown Posse (yes Bunny, I saw it) and other failures from this time. "And that's that, cause you are my love, my one and only love" (using the words of BB themselves). This comeback image does not "get my heartbeat skipping, every day and every night straight tripping", or at least not in a good way.

I almost feel as if you have gotten into cahoots with Eli (UKISS), T.O.P - it feels that deliberate! You both turn this horrible shade of graying around the same time, and then spike your hair up away from your face. You can have one or the other - spiking or graying - but not both, not simultaneously. It will not do, not at all.

Also, whilst we are having a serious heart to heart here, T.O.P, what the hell is going on with your posture in this?! Straighten up for christ's sake - we don't need a hunch back coming on now to match the aged hair do. Daesung too, this neck extension poise is also leaving a lot to be desired in my books and is not a good look.

What a mess. This is not what I wanted the start of the Big Bang comeback to be.

In trying to console my heart, reminding myself that I will never abandon these boys (as this is one of those unconditional crushes that Bunny spoke, luckily), I have been attempting to come up with explanations as to the cause of such a wrong turn. So far I have only come up with one idea. ..
These images were released in context of the new Japanese mini-album that is going to soon be for sale. I am hoping that this concept is geared at Japan, and is only being entertained for this small album after which it will disappear forever. I blame Japan for many things (jovially of course), and turning K-poppers in to J-pop style terrors for the Japanese market is one of these things (sorry for treading on your toes Bunny). Let's hope that my slight prejudice is not too far off of the mark here. If I can make such assumptions, it means that all this wrong doing will end well in time for the big S. Korean album release in August or September. I have my fingers crossed.

All this negativity in terms of such exciting things as comebacks though, how unproductive. I'm sure T.O.P's solo album will make it through unscathed and Big Bang will return just fine.
And besides, we have other thrills in out midst... 2PM baby. With the release of the Without U official thirty second something teaser today I'm literally teatering on the edge of my seat, rocking back and forth a little to a calming effect. Soon my friends, soon. Just under a week in fact (22nd April). Until then, this looped on my desktop may suffice:


2 comments:

Bunny said...

I don't have much to comment on this because firstly - I don't want to re live the trauma and spend more than a few seconds contemplating T.O.P's hair,, but secondly - word for word, you said everything I wanted to say..

At least, up until your Japan blame theory... which i'll have to disagree with. Over in J-pop land we have to deal with hair trauma on a whole other level. Sure you can blame over-feathering of Jaejoong on the Japanese, and any man perms, volumeous pointy styles and numerous video game inspired terrors, sure, let those Japanese stylists come out with their hands up, but the ski lift? and the the silver? the blame does not rest here. Until I see a Johnny's or a a member of W-inds sporting silver locks then I'd say this is straight from Seoul. I'm not sure Japan is even so good with colour... I mean remember what they did to my Taguchi..

Also for some reason the idea of T.O.P and Eli in cahoots is brilliant! I imagine them side by side under the heaters, Eli politely and enthusiastically asking for bad ass rapping tips, T.O.P relaxing, eyes closed, opening one eye to listen to this disturbance and giving him a sideways glare... what an odd couple.

Jessica Jane said...

Point taken. Admittedly, the only silver I have seen in J-land is on visual Kei stars, and barr the one video of DBSK, this has not really affected my precious K, thank god.

What you said about Eli and T.O.P under the hair dryers just killed me! The thought of T.O.P only opening one eye to Eli's surely incessent high pitched babbling is just too good to be true. I can hear T.O.P's monotone earth shakingly bass tonal retorts nows. He would not be amused.
Thank you for this wonderfully crafted image.