Thursday 22 April 2010

So, so fresh, what a Hello, Hello

There's something that I still can't get used to and that is the K-video messages aimed at international audiences about upcoming concerts and general thanks, straight from the artists of the k-pop kingdom. What highlighted this of late was UKISS, and their recently made promo video for their upcoming Malaysian fan meeting:


Poor Dongho being blocked by the terribly creepy Xander! This ratio is all totally round the wrong way.

I should be happy that they are speaking at me in English and making a special video just so that I can understand it. But I don't know. I'm not sure I can even explain it, but there is a strange uncanny feeling that lurches up from within me. Sadly, this is not only the UKISS effect, though it is exacerbated by them (more on this another time). The fact that half of them seem totally oblivious to what is going on is somewhat distressing. It seems like these teenagers are just forced into it - it's like they've not even had a rehearsal, and have just been told to go up there are look fun; for the non-English speakers they seem to have no idea of what they are nodding (half heartedly) along to, and this is a bit uneasy. In the pre-filming scene I almost imagine their being some inappropriate slaps on the bum by management, that makes them feel slightly cheap and used, as they are pushed in front of the rolling camera - this is the feeling I get. It's like they must do everything thrown at them, no matter if they have no clue what it is.
Maybe I overreact. But even my K-pop heroes come across a little bit this way.



See, Big Bang, even you don't seem to have it down. You all look so stiff and confused, like bunnies in headlamps I'd go as far as to say in the case of T.O.P and GD. T.O.P just glares a little into the camera - it's kind of scary (though I do like the slightly fearful feeling that this causes to well up within me. His Russian sounding accent is also pretty fab). And GD's powerless "Bu Bye" at the end as he barely breaks his stare. He seems as though he's resigned to it - this is not the GD that I know and love, where's all his crazed energy gone... It's the same story when they are doing a Japanese interview too. T.O.P and GD, shadows of their glorious selves.

Those who manage it best, I feel, are 2NE1:



I think they kind of pull it off. It's not creepy and it's kind of fun. Minji is a little quiet, but Park Bom and Dara pipe up every now and again to join CL, so it flows a hell of a lot better than poor old BB.

I don't know what I want really. I shouldn't be so ungrateful, but I think maybe I wish only to communicate with my K-idols in smooth flowing English raps. I think I can pretty much hear everything I need to just from these. And they seem much happier delivering these too.

For my initial meeting with T.O.P, he can just communicate through his Big Boy verse:

HEY, COME ON, GIRL Don't ask anymore questions and just follow me
You're my STYLE (WOO!)
OH, PLEASE TRUST ME (I'm your slave)

And if there are problems with GD he can remind me of our happy past:

You used to be my queen,
I used to be your king
You used to go to bath with me,
And we was living happily.

Even, if I feel guilty about crushing on Dongho at the age of 16, he can remind me:

Stop treatin' us like kids
cuz we're not anymore u know what i'm sayin'??
we' all grown up (yeah~we're all grown up!!)
(I'm sure he must know these of by heart from the others)

Essentially, rather than being ungracious and critical of all their English efforts and achievements, I want to tell them not to worry so much. The raps will do just fine; this is how they won my heart, and this is how they can retain it.

4 comments:

Bunny said...

Now on my third attempt to leave a comment on this post whilst at work.

I think I kind of like these awkward half scripted (fully scripted?) attempts to communicate with us. I feel thrilled that they even acknowledge all of those outside of Korea, although I know i'm kidding myself because unless we're residing in the Phillipines, Malaysia or Indonesia, we're still pretty much off the bloody map.

Anyway, painful as they maybe (and that U-kiss one is so painful I cant watch it again, and we all know who's fault that is - 3 letters, starts with an E , ends in an I...) I appreciate their efforts and feel an almost motherly sense of "do your best! you can do it!" for the non english speaking members.

I totally get where you're coming from with your 'slap on the bum from management' worries, but really this is the least of their forced duties! That little tyke in B2ST got all sickly from wearing too many crop tops and I dont even want to imagine the amount of follicle damage (and accompanying mental damage) cause by the recent "black spring" blonding phenomenon. Confused and bewildered as they may be at least the boys are getting an education (cause god knows most of them are missing some school...)

I also understand your sadness as the shy and retiring GD and TOP we so often see in the Japanese interviews, I feel it too, I almost want to beg them to learn the language just so they can act like adorable idiots and really show Japan their true colours, but again I have an alternative theory that makes me feel at ease a little. GD, the leader, with the very lowest Japanese ability, pretty much abdicates his throne of leadership to Prince Taeyang on every visit to Japan, and initially I worried how disheartening this must be for GD, confused and silent in a foreign place, even your position has been demoted, but then as I watched him spinning in his swivel chair, repeat his 2 phrases of Japanese knowledge and rap entirely in English for the 100th time I realised he looked happy in a different way, I think he enjoys taking a back seat once in a while. We know he's a hard worker (hardest worker of 2009 in fact), and a perfectionist, so I think its good he has some days to space out, and not pay any attention to interviewers...

Also I can not find a single fault with the BB clip when GD is looking like such a top class geek chic dreamboat. I would LOVE to know when / where this was and see more pictures of this outfit, deep down I want to believe there are no more pictures because they're actually wearing THEIR OWN clothes and were roped in to doing a quick foreign language video speech. please let them be his own clothes! please! please!

2NE1 really pulled it out the bag. Minji's only 16 or something ridiculous so shes forgiven. CL is great, no surprises when she's self declared "the best female Seoul city ever had" and her name is C L and she's "the baddest fe-male". I look forward to conversing with her in the flesh one day.

Even though I has disagreed, possibly displaced some of your critique, you know I have no issue with communicating only through the smooth raps, in fact if was a choice, I would opt in for the raps EVERY TIME!

TOP's opening lines to you are perfect, I'd be more than a little jealous but i'd feel ok if I had GD by my side and everytime I needed something "I need a pen", the Dragon would appear with said item and quip "GD guarantees to give you what you need", if you and T.O.P are in the vicinity he should feel free to holla a "WE NEED A CLUB BANGER" and we would all collapse in laughter...

Oh and listen to Dongho & the boys, his words are only going to become truer as the years pass by... pretty soon he'll even be able to understand what he's saying!! (sorry that was a bit mean!)

Jessica Jane said...

This is such an epic comment. Thank you. I like that you have told me straight, gently though it may be. We are lucky to get a look in at all, though, like you say, we are hardly Malaysia or the Philippines. Imagine if they made it on to us.. England shout out. The problem then is that they will probably have been spoiled by then. God knows what the UK would do to our precious lambs.
It really does seem like I want to have my cake and eat it, what a terror I am.

I did feel bad about putting the UKISS video up there. Eli's hair in full forcce. I'd even say to him "You make me pissed of!". Though Xander's persistent blocking of Dongho made me way more pissed. How dare he, constantly lurching forwards in front of him with his creepy comments. Not cool.

And yes, a slap on the bum is surely the least of their worries. The surgery can't feel all too great. Poor little things. (I don't even want to consider the hair right now. I sadly can sympathise though, as I got chemical burns when I blonded mine two years ago, only to end up looking like Myra Hindley's younger sister).
The English practice, too, is surely benefical. Actually, I do often find myself wondering about their educations. I know Onew was a front runner, but I'm not so sure we could say the same of GD. Heaven knows what he did in class, but I bet it wasn't study.

I very much like your theory of GD and T.O.P resting. Next time I view these videos, I will try my best to view them in their joyful light. I just hope that the Japanese audiences know their true colours. I guess I will have to ask them and find out, and they aren't aware, I will tell them how it really is, ever the teacher of K-pop ways.
As for GD's own clothes, it is totally possible, and a highly credible theory. I think you can sleep well at night considering this to be true. And of course if I find any supporting evidence you will be the first to know.

I'm most happy to hear that your sympathies still lie with communicating via raps. I really do feel this is the best way. I bet GD would tell me of you:
"I'm gonna be by her side, I'm gonna keep it real tight, as long as I be the GD, she gon be my sweetie, every single day and night for the rest of our life."

Bunny said...

I've never re read the last paragraph of your comment about 15 times throughout the day and every time, without fail, a bashful grin appears across my face! "as long as I be the GD, sh gon' be my sweetie" gets me EVERYTIME! what a way with words this boy has... OH to be that sweetie Jessica Jane, I can barely stand it! It makes me want to hope on the next plane to south K and get all "boy I love your style, love your smile, wish that you could be.. only mine, BE ONLY MINE" on him.

I really hope my package to you arrives eventually because i'm pretty sure theres some video evidence of GD / TOP kicking back and being awesome in Japan with none of those dreary responsibilities of having to speak probably...

Poor you and the Myra Hindley incident. We need to fly you over there so you can counsel the boys immediately. I haven't had a traumatic bleaching experience for almost 10 years now but I'm willing to elaborate on a sob story if It means lending a shoulder to cry on.

I'm sure I remember hearing a few academic idol stories, perhaps I feel a future blog post on this coming on.

Xander really is blocking your Dongho time, and he cant do anything about his annoying hyung! poor thing. I want to invent some kind of term like "cock block" for someone who obstructs our vision when we are trying to look at someone else..? (case in point the 2pm amazing new video challenge dance instructional thing where the choreographer is totally blocking my view of Taec lifting weights directly behind him) .. any thoughts?

and i second your thoughts on the UK. I want them here, and yet I NEVER WANT THEM TO COME HERE. if you know what I mean...

Jessica Jane said...

I'm so glad that it makes you that happy. Similarly, I just scrolled past the insatiable JinSWOON picture to get to this comment, and the mere thought of his spinning around and taking leave to latin class made me giddy at the knees. It doesn't even matter to be that it's not true, nothing matters any more. Just my mere K-pop thrills. I'm glad that we can make each other so excitable, even through the distant medium of the interweb.
I do understand your urge to just on the next flight. I would so love to be the "shorty" dropping low for T.O.P

I really am so so excited at the prospect of this wonderous package. It is yet to arrive, so I guess I will receive it after I return from my week away. And what a welcome how that will be. It will certainly soften the heavy blow that will no doubt be dealt by mere reality. Spending nearly a whole week with Kayleigh means that I will be freely communicating predominantly via the means of K-raps. Returning to straight English will be no fun. But as ever, you will be there to give me a gentle helping hand. ありがとうね。

What I would give to be a shoulder to cry on. I would be so tender. And to make matters more exciting, they'd surely have one of their darling little dogs on their lap too. What a combo. I wouldn't even care about the fact of their maek-up running onto my garments.
If they really were sad, and we sobbing say, could you imagine Seungho, for example, with a wobbling lower lip. Imagine that mouth.

I don't know if I really want to know about the failing level of academia amound idols. I know in reality theirs is rather a terrible world. Poor lambs, with their surgical attacks, denial of girlfriends, lack of family time, sleep denial, constant dieting, and their educations snatched away from them. It makes me feel bad for loving it so much, and for feeding so much money into it. But I tell myself that they want to be doing it. Is that ok?

I was totally going to use the term Cock Block, but I thought it too strong maybe. Well done Bunny, ever the same wave length.

I understnd your views as to their hypothetical appreance and popularity in the UK only too well. Peas in a pod babes.